Johann Fanzoj

Scully

Must admit I didn’t think there were any gun makers I hadn’t heard of, but had never heard of this one until it popped up on my Instagram feed about five minutes ago.

Far far too fancy and over embellished for me ( even if I had the money ) but I can still appreciate the highly skilled craftsmanship that goes into their guns. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are numerous small and one off gunmakers in Europe . Many are younger men who have gone solo and are producing some amazing work . Attending the IWA shows  few years ago I have been very impressed , yet at the same time seeing that these were in reality show pieces destined for the wealth collector not for general use .

It is also unfortunate that you see the same guns year on year as they have not found a home .

• 2 months later...

I think you have to look at these show guns and appreciate the skill and craftsmanship that goes into them even if they aren’t to your taste.  

personnaly even if money was no object I’d not buy one as I find them garish.  My tastes are simple high grade walnut with fine chequering and engraving on beautiful lines, blacking colour case and honey walnut. 

1 minute ago, welshwarrior said:

I think you have to look at these show guns and appreciate the skill and craftsmanship that goes into them even if they aren’t to your taste.  

personnaly even if money was no object I’d not buy one as I find them garish.  My tastes are simple high grade walnut with fine chequering and engraving on beautiful lines, blacking colour case and honey walnut. 

You and I would get along just fine!

I too like a good bit of wood actually, but very much dislike gold triggers and am not keen on engraving. Most of my shotguns actions ( both black and silver ) are very plain. 
My 8500 has a feint gold line on its black borders, as does my Gamba on its silver action. The most heavily decorated action is the GE, but it’s fine scroll type so isn’t too bad really. 

image.png.eaf32a7cc3e530444ca2661cbabf5cb7.png

I googled Peter Hofer but wish I hadn’t. So much craft and so little beauty. The embodiment of a gilded lily. 

We have discussed this before at length on the tattoo thread, I am against decorative ornamentation. Whether that be in guns, architecture or women. 

Edited by WalkedUp

15 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Add Damascus barrels for me, I love my Dickson R/A so understated so elegant I can never understand the need for dummy side plates on a boxlock.

Blackpowder

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I googled Peter Hofer but wish I hadn’t. So much craft and so little beauty. The embodiment of a gilded lily. 

We have discussed this before at length on the tattoo thread, I am against decorative ornamentation. Whether that be in guns, architecture or women. 

awful..........waste of talent..................sorry boys

51 minutes ago, ditchman said:

awful..........waste of talent..................sorry boys

23 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yep, wonderful workmanship totally out of place. Hideous! 
More gold braid than a French Admiral.

Not where my money would be going!

Great craftsmanship completely wasted on a gun!

2 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Add Damascus barrels for me, I love my Dickson R/A so understated so elegant I can never understand the need for dummy side plates on a boxlock.

Blackpowder

I agree. Just bought a Dickson RA and waiting for the stockwork to be finished and a date for collection when we can travel next year. No Damascus barrels on it but I have plenty of guns with those.

13 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Awful, just awful. Ruined what was no doubt a fine firearm in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I agree. Just bought a Dickson RA and waiting for the stockwork to be finished and a date for collection when we can travel next year. No Damascus barrels on it but I have plenty of guns with those.

Trust you will be posting pictures once you have it?