Johann Fanzoj

Scully

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am not a great fan of fancy engraving - in particular, I don't like game scenes or hunting scenes ........ but I do quite like both fine (sometimes known as Purdey style) scroll, and also the deeper and heavier 'Holland and Holland' style of scroll.  Any gold work (other than the word SAFE' or a discreet number on matched guns) is also 'over the top' for me, especially gold triggers!

I quite agree, especially about gold triggers. 
I am still not sure whether I prefer Purdey fine or H&H deeper and heavier, as shown here.683B0EAA-F84D-4921-AE68-276066200668.jpeg.28e39ad5bb816116d2c543e6c898b058.jpeg226E3C6F-6645-42DF-BDBF-64443895447B.jpeg.44df74ee056205729aa0d53f34aad5e8.jpeg

9 hours ago, reindeer said:

I consider the Longthorne a rounded action rather than a true round action.

I would agree! But I don’t know enough to make the distinction. 

10 hours ago, London Best said:

I quite agree, especially about gold triggers. 
I am still not sure whether I prefer Purdey fine or H&H deeper and heavier, as shown here.

That’s a lovely gun nonetheless. 

To me, the 'bar in wood' Dickson or MacNaughton are exceptionally elegant.

I once (circa late 1990s) drove through the snow to London to bid on one - which - had it sold 'within estimate range' was just about as much as I could afford.  Bidding started well towards the top of the estimate range and finished at about 1.5 x top estimate - well unaffordable for me.  It was a lovely gun, cased, Damascus in nitro proof.

Bar in wood.jpg

The bar in wood Dickson also came in side lever which was wonderfully sinuous and elegant.  This one (a 16 bore) made 4 x top estimate at Holts.  https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=A0618+++1502+&refno=++126401&saletype=

Bar in wood 2.jpg

Edited by JohnfromUK

37 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

To me, the 'bar in wood' Dickson or MacNaughton are exceptionally elegant.

I once (circa late 1990s) drove through the snow to London to bid on one - which - had it sold 'within estimate range' was just about as much as I could afford.  Bidding started well towards the top of the estimate range and finished at about 1.5 x top estimate - well unaffordable for me.  It was a lovely gun, cased, Damascus in nitro proof.

Bar in wood.jpg

I similarly missed out on a MacNaughton thirty years ago at auction. Still hanker after it but it went at the ridiculous sum of £2100 I recall😂

19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Apparently, each year Krieghoff do a "Gun of the Year" with fancy engraving etc.  I have to say that this years example seems to highlight everything I don't like about fancy guns ........

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/12/04/krieghoff-galapagos-k80s/

Quite agree. I just can’t understand why some spend so much money on making something look so cheap! 

23 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It's not really for me ......... but I do like a straight hand stock - but not a single trigger.  I wonder if the sharp pointed edges will cause wood splits?

I think you’ll find they will be on side plates with only the wing shape highlighted the rest coloured to blend in to the stock more.