Wood Burning stove

gmm243

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That covered shed is designed to provide three years of drying time maybe a bit more as when we empty the third year bay, it will be refilled with wood from the wood stacked outside which may have been there a couple of years. once it has been in that covered area for three years it is very dry but will still have a few more months in a large stable up by the house for burning that winter.  A bit early this year but we had our first burn this week.  Having a ten acre wood plus a regular supply from two farms I shoot on, I don't see me going short in my lifetime.  The joy of these relatively modern air flow stoves is that the glass stays clean and you can see the fire.  I believe the young man...at the time.... who designed the Clearview stoves, was the first to do it and then about ten years after that all the other manufacturers started to produce them.  The time I purchased mine almost 30 years ago at the Midland Game Fair, he had a small caravan and two stoves set up on the grass burning logs and I made an order straight away.  The firm now has a beautiful place in Ludlow.   They ain't cheap but there again neither are Rolls Royce cars.

Without a dowt they are the Rolls Royce of stoves and do get what you pay for.

Walker you said you may be after a kinetic fan to sit on top, when you look into getting one check the noise level's as I know some can be a bit louder than others.

Mick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, powler said:

Walker you said you may be after a kinetic fan to sit on top, when you look into getting one check the noise level's as I know some can be a bit louder than others.

Mick

My son is a trainee fitter for the local clearview dealer. We had ours fitted when he was still in primary school, so no friends and family deals for us.  

Edited by markm

On 14/10/2020 at 06:49, powler said:

Mick

I currently have an eco fan going like the clappers and it’s silent.

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Not under building regs. 

Not quite true You do need extra ventilation if it is a new build  or if the house has being modernised or improved  eg double glazing etc due to less draughts  also if it is  fitted in a kitchen . It can also depend on the build of the stove as to how much extra ventilation is required .  

31 minutes ago, mowdy said:

Not quite true You do need extra ventilation if it is a new build  or if the house has being modernised or improved  eg double glazing etc due to less draughts  also if it is  fitted in a kitchen . It can also depend on the build of the stove as to how much extra ventilation is required .  

Hope they don't come nosing about this old place then:yes:

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Does anyone know a supply of low level fans.  My log burner sits below a steel serving area and he gap is about 6 inches.

I would like the fan to go in there out of the way.

001.JPG

Here you go  -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inches-Height-Suitable-Burner-Fireplace/dp/B073PPQCTD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=21NZ7BF9U0TGX&dchild=1&keywords=low+profile+stove+fan&qid=1603109249&sprefix=low+profile+stove+%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-5    

Just punch in low profile stove fan

23 hours ago, oowee said:

Not under building regs. 

Thanks, I thought I read it somewhere but I don't trust my memory much nowadays 🤔

21 hours ago, mowdy said:

Thanks for the update, think I would still be ok.

👍

• 3 months later...

I set my chimney on fire Saturday. I lit the woodburner as normal with all the vents fully open put some small pieces of wood on then got distracted and did something else. When I came back into the room the flue temperature was sky high and there was loud roaring sound from the chimney. I went outside it was impressive, a flame 3ft out of the pot. It was all over in about 5 minutes and it's cleared the chimney.

55 minutes ago, bornfree said:

I set my chimney on fire Saturday. I lit the woodburner as normal with all the vents fully open put some small pieces of wood on then got distracted and did something else. When I came back into the room the flue temperature was sky high and there was loud roaring sound from the chimney. I went outside it was impressive, a flame 3ft out of the pot. It was all over in about 5 minutes and it's cleared the chimney.

My old man set the chimney on fire one Christmas Day about 15 years ago. The old couple down the street said it was no big deal and to put a drop of water in the stove, the steam would put out the fire. My old man opened the stove door and threw a full pan of water in, it was like a scene from backdraft, steam and soot flew out the front of the stove and covered the set table and tree in soot.

1 hour ago, bornfree said:

31 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

My old man set the chimney on fire one Christmas Day about 15 years ago. The old couple down the street said it was no big deal and to put a drop of water in the stove, the steam would put out the fire. My old man opened the stove door and threw a full pan of water in, it was like a scene from backdraft, steam and soot flew out the front of the stove and covered the set table and tree in soot.

Always a difficult situation but always call the fire service. It costs nothing and they have put out lots safely. Both situations could have been a lot worse, most of the time the FS will extinguish it from the top, they may even give it a quick rodding for you too particularly if there are several changes of directions. Just because a chimney fire seems to be out in the flue doesn't mean it hasn't burned through the liner or through the chimney and off somewhere else, the FS can use their thermal imaging camera to make sure there are no hot spots before they leave.

Just now, henry d said:

Always a difficult situation but always call the fire service. It costs nothing and they have put out lots safely. Both situations could have been a lot worse, most of the time the FS will extinguish it from the top, they may even give it a quick rodding for you too particularly if there are several changes of directions. Just because a chimney fire seems to be out in the flue doesn't mean it hasn't burned through the liner or through the chimney and off somewhere else, the FS can use their thermal imaging camera to make sure there are no hot spots before they leave.

My aunt and uncle had a chimney fire a few years ago. The fire brigade turned up, hopped on the roof, lobbed the hose in the chimney and turned it on full whack. Basically flooded the downstairs. Better than a burned down house but seemed rather excessive. I think the old couples thought process was “it used to happen all the time back in the day”

2 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

My aunt and uncle had a chimney fire a few years ago. The fire brigade turned up, hopped on the roof, lobbed the hose in the chimney and turned it on full whack. Basically flooded the downstairs. Better than a burned down house but seemed rather excessive. I think the old couples thought process was “it used to happen all the time back in the day”

I remember that happening to a house at the back of ours in Hull when I was young. Fireman just climbed up the roof, stood on the ridge and stuck his hose down the chimney. Seemed to leave it there for ages.

Everybody had coal fires in those days. I remember watching my mother ‘drawing’ the fire with a sheet of news paper. It often caught fire whilst she was doing it.

8 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

turned it on full whack.

😞 plonkers! Usually it takes just a pint or two unless it is 3,4,5 floors, and there should be someone looking up the ingathering for signs of water so they can turn it off. Doesn't always work though, I went up with another firefighter and were told " WATER OFF!!!" We hadn't even got to the stack, we then saw our gaffer run out with the tenants covered in soot and a cloud of soot follow them. Apparently it had happened the last time too! It transpires that they had a shoulder on a bend in the flue and the soot must build up on it.

Moral of the story, get it swept