Villiers 10d 2stroke engine

millrace

Project.....ummmmm not quite sure yet.....lol

I'm picking up a vintage bike tomorrow 1952 125cc villiers engined little thing....

spur of moment buy,,,lol know nothing about them,,so I know it was started in july and idled for while,, so after initial  check ie oil ,,clean tank filter,gear selection etc any other things before we try the big fire up....

Am I right its 1,20 oil mix so 250ml per gallon just any tips much appreciated 

Hello, in 1965 I had my first motor bike, Frances Barnet with a Villiers engine, very easy to work on, my tip is go easy on the throttle and let it warm up before you zoom off 👍

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, in 1965 I had my first motor bike, Frances Barnet with a Villiers engine, very easy to work on, my tip is go easy on the throttle and let it warm up before you zoom off 👍

And keep the plug clean 👍

21 minutes ago, millrace said:

Project.....ummmmm not quite sure yet.....lol

I'm picking up a vintage bike tomorrow 1952 125cc villiers engined little thing....

spur of moment buy,,,lol know nothing about them,,so I know it was started in july and idled for while,, so after initial  check ie oil ,,clean tank filter,gear selection etc any other things before we try the big fire up....

Am I right its 1,20 oil mix so 250ml per gallon just any tips much appreciated 

cant go wrong or you will learn how to rebuild to have a jolly     older engine oil ratio sounds about right     if the tank is rusty inside they can be cleaned up spotless   get in touch     points and condensers available    jets and new carbs  available even castings and cranks etc 

You will need the Hammertight spanner to remove the flywheel, and, yes with modern oil you can reduce the petrol/oil ratio ( but you may need to adjust the jetting).

They are very tolerant of abuse, though, and needed to be with all us 16 year olds practicing our spannering in the 1960s

s-l400-1.jpg

Edited by amateur

a lot of modern day stuff runs synthetic oils     old stuff  runs mineral oil mix  smith and Allen mineral oils worth a look   vintage oils           and blended for older engines      i still run mineral oils a higher mix rate    older engines the spark plug tell you  wright or wrong     the oil is the cheapest part of the engine  less oil means £££££ repairs  follow a lambretta  all you can smell is two stroke before you can see it   ive had bikes that ran 20 /50 mineral mix back in the day  before two stroke oils  to 50/1  oil is key  i use 25/1 on all small engines and adjust carbs           i add 100 mls mineral  two stroke oil to £ 20 diesel  in my old  truck    1/4 mil  miles  not using oil or water        all my chainsaws  strimmer's  hedge cutters blowers  run 25 / 1  carbs adjusted to suit    oil mix  i still have and old aluminum mc cullack top handle  chainsaw cant remember the number  loud sucker 40 +  yrs old starts every time         solo    stihl      eco     dolmar sax    McCullagh  Jon seer     partner    stiga           oil is key to the life of any engine  two stroke or not the best oil the engine lives   

Regardless of the two stroke oil quality, you should stick to the original ratio (within reason) If you use a lot lower ratio of oil mix, you'll run rich, too much oil in the fuel and you'll run lean.  As the carb has a fixed main jet, you'd need to jet down if you start to run 50:1 using newer synthetic oil.... on the plus side, running rich is safe for a two stroke engine, running lean can be dangerous.

On 09/10/2020 at 22:19, oldypigeonpopper said:

And keep the plug clean 👍

Hello, your know if running well by the plug color, a few photos would be good, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

The old “tune by plug colour” no longer applies with modern two stroke oils. The best option would be to join one of the many villiers owners clubs and get there advice or send a email to classic bike magazine for expert advice. I run several of four strokes and got their advice several times

A mate of mine over Sheffied way restores old Excelsior bikes and the engines in those are very similar to the Vickers. When we were made redundant a couple of years ago he decided that he was fed up being a wage slave and is making his hobbly into a business. Link to his Facebook page  bike restoration  have a look at the engines he has done recently, they looked like boat anchors but he has them come up beautiful.

Edited by Lord O War

Well the villiers lives....lol

1952,,,kickstart spines are gone so it's a strap on flywheel job....but she lives....not much smoke to be fair gears all select and ceems to work as should,,, needs carb adjusted as idle is off and new kickstart lever to order ,,have no doubt this is the calm before things get stripped to check ie. brakes etc,electrics need sorted for lights but that's all for the future.....lol

Don't expect much for lights if they are direct off the flywheel magneto.

On the 150 Sun that I had in the 60s, when you changed from 2nd to 3rd (only 3 gears), the lights would go from dim to gloworm. I solved that one on a later James by fitting a battery and feeding all the limited power into charging that, then, when I went out at night, prayed that the battery would hold enough charge to get me home - but at least I could see my way!

Of course, with LEDs, this may not be a problem

7 hours ago, amateur said:

Don't expect much for lights if they are direct off the flywheel magneto.

On the 150 Sun that I had in the 60s, when you changed from 2nd to 3rd (only 3 gears), the lights would go from dim to gloworm. I solved that one on a later James by fitting a battery and feeding all the limited power into charging that, then, when I went out at night, prayed that the battery would hold enough charge to get me home - but at least I could see my way!

Of course, with LEDs, this may not be a problem

You just need a good LED head band

Thinking further about the lights. If you do want to fit LEDs and you still have the bike wired for lighting direct from the flywheel magneto, that will produce 6 volt alternating current, and LEDs usually need 12v direct current, so you would need to fit a rectifier and a 12v battery.