Homemade turning target system.

I've just finished this turning target system, designed for ISSF (Olympic) style pistol shooting training. It's portable and runs on a 12v motorcycle battery.

The ISSF pistol shooting is all one handed, open sight competitions. The centrefire match is for any centrefire pistol over .32. Total of 30 shots (in 6 strings of 5) on a static target at 25m (27yds)
then 30 shots (again 6 x5) on the dueling target. 3 second face time, 7 second edge time. pistol must be returned to 45 degrees after each shot.

Any other edge/face time and number of exposures can be programmed and has a wireless remote control to start/stop and edge the targets.

Edited by 1066

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Looks good.

Only possible design flaw I can see is, if you are a good shot, the piece of wood in the middle isn't going to last long. But I persume it still operates with the middle shot out.

Easily sorted with a frame around the outside.

The backing is ply and the batten is glued all the way. I thing you could cut out a circle the size of a small plate and it would still hang together. In fact I might do that before I try it this week at the range.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Looks good.

Only possible design flaw I can see is, if you are a good shot, the piece of wood in the middle isn't going to last long. But I persume it still operates with the middle shot out.

Easily sorted with a frame around the outside.

Yes. I was going to make the same constructive suggestion. Also easily sorted as said above.  

2 hours ago, 1066 said:

The backing is ply and the batten is glued all the way. I thing you could cut out a circle the size of a small plate and it would still hang together. In fact I might do that before I try it this week at the range.

Part of the problem with having the stake up the middle is the amount of damage suffered by just a few shots. Just a small hole in the front can often result in several inches off the stake, especially with centre fire calibres.

I'd also suggest the 'away' setting needs to be 90 degrees if you have people who try and get an extra shot away. I've seen quite a few targets hit from sideways on.

Having said that it looks very useful and I'd like some more details on the workings. I'd like to set up something similar and I've considered getting something like a Raspberry Pi to memorise some of the more common gallery rifle disciplines.

5 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Part of the problem with having the stake up the middle is the amount of damage suffered by just a few shots. Just a small hole in the front can often result in several inches off the stake, especially with centre fire calibres.

I'd also suggest the 'away' setting needs to be 90 degrees if you have people who try and get an extra shot away. I've seen quite a few targets hit from sideways on.

Having said that it looks very useful and I'd like some more details on the workings. I'd like to set up something similar and I've considered getting something like a Raspberry Pi to memorise some of the more common gallery rifle disciplines.

I appreciate it's not an ideal design, but it is quick and easy and a spare target frame takes seconds to fit and costs a couple of quid. If it becomes a problem I'll change it to an open frame.

Ideally 90 degrees is what you want - Unfortunately the arc on the windscreen wiper motor I used is about 100 degrees. The system could run on an Arduino or a Pi processor with a bit of modification.

This one just uses programmable timer  - this one has a two channel radio remote but I also have a 6 channel one I could use if I needed more timings.

If you need several different timings or random timings then micro processor is the way to go.

• 1 year later...