vinyl flooring underlay

ditchman

is there such a product to lay on a concrete floor before laying a vinyl carpet ontop ...   i know there is "cushion floor " ...but is there a recommended underlay i could use...

it will not have to deal with damp ...will be a barrier against the cold floor...

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

lino.............

Ah ok then, basically no then. But that's if the floor is even. 

7 times out of ten I'd have to use a latex self levelling compound, and which to get really good and flat I'd sand down with a brick like tool (made out of carbon graphite, and bloody expensive and hard labour!) till I was satisfied. Self levelling is fairly cheap. 

Thing is vinyl will show very very quickly any imperfections underneath. Don't buy ****, thicker doesn't mean better, just make sure the actual wear layer is thicker (surface). Rhino floor used to be a good brand, the reps would hang a bit and get you to throw bean tins at it to see if you could dent/mark it. 

Btw the boss used to get a lot of carpet/vinyl from lifestyle floors. Rarely had any issues with their stuff. Think they were a birmingham business and not 100% sure if they deal with public. 

Good old fashion hardboard is often used if you are laying vinyl on uneven floorboards so the ridges don't show but not a lot of insulation I would guess

Its a problem if you can't make it to thick . The house I live in if you have a thick carpet you scape all the hair off the top of your head 

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

so to get good insulation...what if i laid 1/4 ply on the floor first

Can be done but would show the joins quickly unless you spent a bit of time allowing them to acclimatise and done a good job smoothing the joins flat. Is it onto floorboards or concrete/screed? The ply thickness is spot on tbh. 

If its for a small area, onto screed which looks sound with no bumps, I'd be tempted to use a thin underlay like what's used for laminate fixed down hard and loose lay the vinyl on top. But I woundnt of recommended that to a customer, as for the total price and labour they might have got a better thickness - with quality- vinyl. 

On slightly uneven wooden floor boards the norm is to put hardboard down. It would also act as a slight insulator. It is tacked to a wooden floor, so i would glue it to the concrete.

Or you could always go the whole hog and put underfloor heating?

I wouldn't put anything like the laminate floor underlay under lino as its compressible and when you put a chair lad or table leg on it, it would cut the lino.

Hardboard joints can be filled or covered with a few layers of gaffe tape

14 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

If its rented, shouldn't the landlord be dealing with the lino?

i will be looking for a long term rental property....that i can spend some money on to get how i want...and in return i will have a reduced rent.........