I've hit a wall, what should I get as a shooting vehicle?

yeet

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I had an old red (I think it was made from recycled shortbread tins) Fiat Panda 4x4. If it got stuck it was light enough that you could pick it up and carry it under your arm.

I had one as my first car in the late 90s - brilliant. Went anywhere, never got stuck. Wouldn’t go over 50mph, the sunroof leaked and only yesterday I was thinking about how there is no way I would put my children in it comparing it to my XC60 but as a shooting “truck” they are great. 

In the last few years I replaced my CRV with a RAV4 - the Toyota is definitely better off road, a more capable 4x4 system and it is build much more robustly than the Honda. 

For the last 3 years I have had a 2004 Suzuki Vitara sport 16 valve, it replaced a Mitsubishi Pinin which fell apart from rust after just one season, the Suzuki has never let me down, so light it floats over really swampy soft ground, has a very low gear selection which will crawl out of anything, its the 2 door model so with the back seats down flat I get a ton of useless ****, I mean all my valuable decoying equipment in the back with room for the bags of shot birds as well (usually a carrier bag with 3 in ). A seriously good off road light weight vehicle with room for the shopping and wife, or back seats up, taking the grand kids out for the day. and it only cost me £1000 off ebay, the only outlay for repairs so far has been a clutch which was dodgy when I bought it. 5 star  recommendation.👍

Seconding the xtrail, the door mirror bracket is a handy rifle rest for a lone shooter on grazing where you can steer to the quarry and the super large sunroof is great for a buddy to be up top as well, or you can lay up and bipod on the rear section of roof. 

On 11/10/2020 at 08:34, team tractor said:

I’m on the 3rd season in my terios . It’s the best £700 I’ve ever spent but now it’s suffering with rust . If I can I’ll just keep running it and repairing it . 

Hello, power clean underneath, let dry and spray with diesel, old news papers underneath to catch drips

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, power clean underneath, let dry and spray with diesel, old news papers underneath to catch drips

My Rav has lubricated itself underneath like that...corroded fuel filler pipe! Only noticed when filled the tank completely for the first time this year. 

only piece of poor design I’ve found on it, steel pipe exposed to elements and has rusted where it joins rubber hose into fuel tank (which it enters as low down as it could?) - currently repaired with steel epoxy (brilliant stuff) but if it goes again I’ll replace the whole pipe with 30mm fuel hose and jubilee clips to keep the old girl going. 

On 12/10/2020 at 19:56, Dave-G said:

Seconding the xtrail, the door mirror bracket is a handy rifle rest for a lone shooter on grazing where you can steer to the quarry and the super large sunroof is great for a buddy to be up top as well, or you can lay up and bipod on the rear section of roof. 

It's an excellent shooting position, with a bit of imaginitive roof racking too... Like mine 😉

IMG_20201014_141249.jpg

8 hours ago, scouser said:

I think the thermal spotter with the screen in the car is a great bit of kit, i,ll have to start saving.

Its really handy for getting the truck to a good position without showing any presence before using either a red lamp or NV on the rifle.

I think some hand helds can be used with wifi to a phone or tablet that will have a bit more lag but that shouldn't be much of an issue for spotting unless you are panning and have to come back a bit after passing it. I'm not aware of any RF video signal roof spotters being commercially available. Mine was a one off that won't be made for sale.

13 minutes ago, scouser said:

Would it be possible to mount the sender unit on a remote control spotlight that you could control from inside your car,it would save you having to drive around looking for Charlie.

Mounting to an existing R/C light is going to make it top heavy and harder to control accurately without flopping around and every remote control one I've seen has a handle or 12 power feed cable leading to it that would annoyingly get in the way of rifle maneuvering etc, add expense and bulk up the unit.

I have a huge tilt/slide sunroof that I can easily reach through to pan and tilt it as required by hand on its stainless steel pivot ball stud in the mag mount with no trailing cables in the way.

9 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Mounting to an existing R/C light is going to make it top heavy and harder to control accurately without flopping around and every remote control one I've seen has either handle or 12v power feed cable leading to it that would annoyingly get in the way of steering and rifle maneuvering etc, add expense and bulk up the unit.

I have a huge tilt/slide sunroof that I can easily reach through to pan and tilt it as required by hand on its stainless steel pivot ball stud in the mag mount with no trailing cables in the way. If you are not blessed with a sunroof maybe fit a steel roof rail that overhangs the drivers window.

Edited by Dave-G