Forging Aluminum.

fatchap

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

this thread is fascinating .

Mel tell you what is Fascinating  is , now stop and thing for a minute what I am about to say . How the heck did they know to get metal from a stone ...... a stone is a stone. 

Ok my thoughts are when the builds fires they would have stones around them  to hold the fire in place . One of these stones got to hot and metal came out . The first metal was copper .

So a piece of copper ore it must have been . We had three periods of time . The copper age. Now that is not talked about a lot . The the bronze age . Then Iron age . Ok so they got copper . But on its not strong enough so they introduced  tin . At that time they were only using logs to burn. The iron age only came about when they found they could burn coal as it got hotter  letting iron ore melt.  logs/ wood . Could not reach the heats to melt the iron ore . So that's how the periods came to be . One of the main reasons the romans came here was for copper/ tin and lead .  Heating metal is fascinating  .

5 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Mel tell you what is Fascinating  is , now stop and thing for a minute what I am about to say . How the heck did they know to get metal from a stone ...... a stone is a stone. 

Ok my thoughts are when the builds fires they would have stones around them  to hold the fire in place . One of these stones got to hot and metal came out . The first metal was copper .

So a piece of copper ore it must have been . We had three periods of time . The copper age. Now that is not talked about a lot . The the bronze age . Then Iron age . Ok so they got copper . But on its not strong enough so they introduced  tin . At that time they were only using logs to burn. The iron age only came about when they found they could burn coal as it got hotter  letting iron ore melt.  logs/ wood . Could not reach the heats to melt the iron ore . So that's how the periods came to be . One of the main reasons the romans came here was for copper/ tin and lead .  Heating metal is fascinating  .

I totally agree , I also think about the discovery of glass in a similar way (although glass wasn't as world changing ) . 

• 2 weeks later...

Aluminium transmits heat very , very fast ! For that reason and its low melting point we consider it none forging . 

You can hower cold work it but you need to keep annealing it by putting oil on it and heating it with a module flame as it work hardens 

Machine out a billet of a reasonable grade will be the answer , oh don't bother grinding ! Just machine , then finish with a file made for ally which only has single line cut . 

Going to be a ****** to buff if thats what your client is expecting , even if you do it will just oxidise,  so shiny means off to the anodising plant I suspect 

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 12:30, snow white said:

The way I used to gas weld it many many years ago was to rub some soap down the length of the job about quarter of inch from where it was going to be welded when the soap started to go black that was the time to start to weld all the best 

the soap trick is also used to indicate when the ali is annealed.