Christmas dinner

Jacko3275

On 11/10/2020 at 19:06, Jacko3275 said:

My wife as asked me to shoot a goose or two for Christmas dinner and as I  only go pigeon or clay shooting I was wondering if I could tap an invite to shoot a goose or two  cheers jacko

have you had wild geese before jacko ? if not you may be diserpointed , it's diferent to farmed geese ,just don't want your Chtistmas dinner spoilt .atb DD 

11 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

No.. just assumed it would be the same 

If you’ve not glad it before and you want it for Christmas, I’d recommend boning it out and combining it with a couple more birds and some stuffing/sausage meat for a 3 bird roast - as others have said, they can be a bit hit and miss but combines as above they are great. 

You want a greylag or pinkfoot really! Canada’s are horrible. If I was you, and this is what i do, cook a normal Turkey so there’s enough for everyone. Cook the goose along side for everyone to try a bit. Relying solely on goose is likely to spoil your Christmas dinner for your family. 

I don’t always get geese where i shoot but if I do I’ll give you a shout. I’m not a million miles away.

Edited by zipdog

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Doesn’t it also depend on which type of goose you get? 

Have heard Canada is awful to eat. 

There's lots of jokes about cooking a Canada IE, cook it with a brick, throw the goose in the bin and eat the brick. Think it might have more to do with the chef.... 

We roasted the last one I shot and throughly enjoyed it, I've seen elsewhere they make good jerky too.

4 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

There's lots of jokes about cooking a Canada IE, cook it with a brick, throw the goose in the bin and eat the brick. Think it might have more to do with the chef.... 

We roasted the last one I shot and throughly enjoyed it, I've seen elsewhere they make good jerky too.

I agree, a couple of years back I’d shot a Canada goose near Keighley and a pink foot in Leven, we roasted them both side by side and out of 6 of us, the Canada won 6:0 

do not listen to them Lloydy, Canada's are absolutely horrible and being a good club member of the same club, I will kindly offer to take any you shoot and dispose of them for you...... I would not want you to spoil your delicate tastebuds with their foul taste..... I will burn them slowly for a number of hours and to minimise smoke damage to the environment, I will use Port to douse any flame along with stock veg to minimise oxidisation.  I can then internally compost to a manure state and dispose of into an underground vessel contained outside of my property.

this offer is made only out of a desire to assist you .... honest

If I was being honest, I wouldn’t do a roast wild goose for Christmas dinner,(just in case it’s an anticlimax). They can be fine roasted but can be a bit dry/tough and easy to overcook. I put most of mine through the mincer or slow cooker.

Don't get me wrong, by all means try it. But if I was entertaining,(seems daft typing that with covid) I would go with a decent farmed option as you know what you’re getting age wise.

26 minutes ago, B725 said:

Reading this there's not much point anyone shooting a goose if a farmed one is the preferred option. 

Depends though. If you’re spending hours on a big fancy Christmas dinner with guests then you want a guaranteed result.

Can’t beat wild geese for being free range and as good a welfare as you can get but there’s a definite difference from a cooking point of view between eating something grain fed and a year old and one that could potentially be 8/10 years old and flown thousands of miles 😅

3 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

If I was being honest, I wouldn’t do a roast wild goose for Christmas dinner,(just in case it’s an anticlimax). They can be fine roasted but can be a bit dry/tough and easy to overcook. I put most of mine through the mincer or slow cooker.

Don't get me wrong, by all means try it. But if I was entertaining,(seems daft typing that with covid) I would go with a decent farmed option as you know what you’re getting age wise.

I would go along with giving a wild goose a miss for Christmas dinner , you would need to be clued up to know roughly how old the goose is before you get to the stage of cooking , my last goose was on the last night bar one last season , it was one of the biggest Canada geese I had shot and even with his neck bent over my shoulder his feet were still around my knees , his wind pipe , beak and legs all looked and felt past the sell by date and I recon he could have hatched out around the start of this century , he ended up diced and was part of a large game casserole at a shoot dinner .

My mate who is long gone once shot a White Front that already had the Black bars on it's chest , as it was only winged by the end joint he kept it up his garden along with several more species of wildfowl that had only been lightly winged , time he gave the garden up he had kept that goose for getting on to 20 years , it might not had lasted that long in the wild but it certainly won't have made a Christmas dinner , mind you your guests would have remembered it , but sadly for all the wrong reasons :lol: