Fungi/Mushroom Identification Apps or Books

RockySpears

Finding more time to look into various hobbies/interests and started looking at Mycology.

Can any one recommend a book or App that is not just a load of pictures or a Google image search?

I have tree and plant id books that do a sort of 20 questions to guide you to an id e.g.  Is the leaf single or palmate? are the veins alternate or coincident?

So far everything I get book-wise  means you have to look at every page to see if it looks like the one in hand.

Cheers, 

RS

i love fungi/mushrooms...........i love doing and using them in carbonara.....hungarian goulash....and various other foods.............i would love the knowledge and skill and confidence...to harvest these treats...........

but doing so would be way beyond my payscale and knowledge....so i leave it to others to harvest

its all a bit of a black art to me........

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i love fungi/mushrooms...........i love doing and using them in carbonara.....hungarian goulash....and various other foods.............i would love the knowledge and skill and confidence...to harvest these treats...........

but doing so would be way beyond my payscale and knowledge....so i leave it to others to harvest

its all a bit of a black art to me........

If you only learned to identify  half a dozen or so that would be a great thing, Chantarelles, Ceps and Field mushrooms are great and once you are confident with those, you can learn more.  Don't touch things that are not Ceps, Chantarelles and Field mushrooms.  They are delicious,

RS

Books and apps are helpful but the best way to learn is to join a fungi group, they will have an expert with the foraging group that will help you identify what is good to eat and what to avoid.

Dont know if this group is near you…..https://www.britmycolsoc.org.uk/mycology/recording-network/groups/north-eastern-fungus-study-group

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

Books and apps are helpful but the best way to learn is to join a fungi group, they will have an expert with the foraging group that will help you identify what is good to eat and what to avoid.

Dont know if this group is near you…..https://www.britmycolsoc.org.uk/mycology/recording-network/groups/north-eastern-fungus-study-group

Cheers for that.  Not seen that sort of thing, king of got lost in looking for books/Apps,

RS

Some 20 years ago I joined the Worcestershire Fungi Group, and although I have not been out with them for some time now it was great meeting up and finding fungi and having an expert on hand if I was unsure of what I had found.

Like I said books and apps are ok but there are so many fungi/mushrooms that look familiar, some can make you very sick and some are deadly if eaten, you need someone who knows the difference between the two.

I've got a couple about here somewhere, one divides them up by edible/ inedible/ poisonous, Identification Guide to Mushrooms .... -  Josephine Bacon the other by type such as polypores Mushrooms & other Fungi - Bacon, Sterry, Merrick so the pair of them work well together.

I've had several this year, the tastiest being chicken of the woods (3 off 2 trees) and a variety of oyster, then also field and wood varieties (loads of these about this year) and a few types of bolette. I'm sure I pass a lot of edibles by as I tend very much on the side of caution.

If there isn't an app I'd be surprised.

Edited by yod dropper

4 hours ago, yod dropper said:

I've got a couple about here somewhere, one divides them up by edible/ inedible/ poisonous, Identification Guide to Mushrooms .... -  Josephine Bacon the other by type such as polypores Mushrooms & other Fungi - Bacon, Sterry, Merrick so the pair of them work well together.

I've had several this year, the tastiest being chicken of the woods (3 off 2 trees) and a variety of oyster, then also field and wood varieties (loads of these about this year) and a few types of bolette. I'm sure I pass a lot of edibles by as I tend very much on the side of caution.

I to picked a Chicken of the woods three weeks ago and as say its one of the tastiest mushrooms I have tasted, I learned from my grandad,dad and uncles on both sidesof the family what to pick  and if in any doubt to leave alone ! even the experts some times get it wrong ! Fearnley Fishingstools mentor John Wright finished up in hospital after getting a wrong un , unless you are certain stick to the tried an tested and remember you can eat all mushrooms but some only Once ! atb DD

On 13/10/2020 at 09:23, yod dropper said:

There are apps, but they seem poor.  Tried them on some simple ones and they don't get it.  Sometimes the match is really preposterous.  The "best" lets you show the mushroom on the screen and it captures an image almost instantly, but then gives little in the way of ways to verify its answer, such as gill attachment, flesh colour/consistency etc.

If there was something useful, I don't mind paying, but most are free so not sure that they are taking my data or some such.  I'd rather pay than be spied on or traded,

RS