New drive

AVB

My drive is about 60m long and is currently gravel. When I get the new garage built I would like to get it resurfaced but not sure what with. It’s on a slope and we have three cars (including two heavy 4x4’s) so it need to be able to take punishment. I had experience of:

Gravel - needs continual weeding & raking 

Tar bonded gravel - rubbish 

Resin bonded gravel - ok but not as hardwearing as was led to believe

what else should I consider? 

Hi fella,,,, before you get lots of other people's preferences and ideas, a couple of questions.

You say your driveway is sloped,,,, towards or away from your house ?

If towards, you're going to have to think about where the surface water is going to go. If away, not so much of a problem.

Are you averse to block paving ? Great choice available to match the style of your house, also some of it is permeable. Also very easy to maintain.

Edit to add,,,, don't even entertain the idea of imprinted concrete,,,, the worst thing [for hard landscaping] ever 'invented' !!!

Edited by JKD

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

In our borough any new drive now has to be permeable, so only block paving is allowed. Check on your local planning regs

Block paving isn’t permeable and over certain m2, then planning permission is required- unless you can. Instruct it in accordance with SUDS compliance, such as hot rolled asphalt with resin over layering ( unlike tarmac) 

If you happen to be doing it yourself, then use type 3 as a sub base as type 1 binds together too much and goes like clay which isn’t good for permeability 

8 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Block paving isn’t permeable and over certain m2, then planning permission is required- unless you can. Instruct it in accordance with SUDS compliance, such as hot rolled asphalt with resin over layering ( unlike tarmac) 

If you happen to be doing it yourself, then use type 3 as a sub base as type 1 binds together too much and goes like clay which isn’t good for permeability 

When the planning rules came in, manufacturers designed permeable block pavers to cater for demand, Marshalls as an example. Not many actual permeable block pavers are available, but lots of permeable 'paving' is available 😉

25 minutes ago, JKD said:

When the planning rules came in, manufacturers designed permeable block pavers to cater for demand, Marshalls as an example. Not many actual permeable block pavers are available, but lots of permeable 'paving' is available 😉

Ta for that... learn something everyday 

Cheers all. Granite setts look good but I fear would be pricey. I suspect after we have the garage built we will have about 140 sq metres to deal with. A quick Google says that would be about £13k for block paving. 

@JKD fortunately the drive slopes away from the house. And that’s one of the problems with gravel as it washes down into the lane with heavy rain. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

Cheers all. Granite setts look good but I fear would be pricey. I suspect after we have the garage built we will have about 140 sq metres to deal with. A quick Google says that would be about £13k for block paving. 

@JKD fortunately the drive slopes away from the house. And that’s one of the problems with gravel as it washes down into the lane with heavy rain. 

Well that is fortunate, and I know exactly what you mean re the gravel 😕 That is quite a large area,,,, at the end of the day, it will come down to budget and choice of style/colour/finish. Are there similar properties in the area you could get ideas from ?

As for using granite setts,,,, it's quite common to see them at the entrance to drives/properties and other positions to define areas.

You can get some nice gravel, I have a good sized drive and it was done with plum slate, as it broke down from being nice big bits to small and powdery. It was changed to a chipping type gravel of 20mm similar to what's used embedded into tarmac. 

Looks nice and won't run away with rain as it locks together like railway ballast only smaller. You can get lots of colours, we have a nice grey with sparkle bits in the stone. Neighbours have red granite.

Have a look on gravel masters for some colours, other places will have different types also.

You can get water permiable tarmac but it won't be cheap.

Unless you get concrete all drives need weeding.  A strong brine solution watered on will kill weeds. 

Edited by figgy

5 hours ago, figgy said:

You can get some nice gravel, I have a good sized drive and it was done with plum slate, as it broke down from being nice big bits to small and powdery. It was changed to a chipping type gravel of 20mm similar to what's used embedded into tarmac. 

Looks nice and won't run away with rain as it locks together like railway ballast only smaller. You can get lots of colours, we have a nice grey with sparkle bits in the stone. Neighbours have red granite.

Have a look on gravel masters for some colours, other places will have different types also.

You can get water permiable tarmac but it won't be cheap.

Unless you get concrete all drives need weeding.  A strong brine solution watered on will kill weeds. 

I’d go along with Figgy. I have a block pavior drive and a brine solution once, or sometimes twice a year depending on how much rain falls diluting the solution, keeps all the weeds at bay. I have found that a glyphosate weed killer, whilst it kills the weeds down to their roots, it doesn’t stop new weeds growing, whereas salt in the soil prevents any new growth. Have to be careful that it doesn’t leech out onto flower beds etc.

OB

There is this stuff - I have seen it on YT and considering it for our drive which is on a slope towards the house!!!

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/help-and-advice/project-guides/landscaping-outdoors/how-to-use-a-gravel-grid/

its the DuPoint stuff - weed barrier underneath and easy to lay as it just pulls out then put your gravel in - spray it once a year for weeds.

Nothing beats the sound of the gravel under the wheels of the Bentley eh @AVB ??😂

If you have a maneuvering point it may be an idea to use the plastic at that point