11 hours ago, ethanjordan said:

I've been watching videos by GunBlue490. In a few of his videos, he insists that you shouldn't put oil on your guns, that it gunks them up and can ruin them.

Obviously not owned guns for very long, or they would all be rusted up.

It depends IMHO. I years ago had charge of an armoury with seventy plus rifles and a about a half dozen light machine guns. Other than being pulled through after firing the things were never...in that sense "oiled"...and didn't show signs of rust. However they were handled at least once or so a week so anything untoward would have been noticed. Plus of course the armoury didn't suffer from dampness, condensation or humidity.

Move on some forty plus years later and i do wipe my firearms down with an oily cloth (choosing the right oil is a major importance IMHO) and check and then re-oil the bores. But I certainly don't drench them in gun oil nor leave it such that it is visibly running down the inside or outside of the barrel. Everything in moderation and the most important thing is after you've handled them wipe them down. 

But my cabinets don't suffer from dampness, condensation or humidity. Yours might. That is the most important thing. It is how they are stored and what it's like where they are stored. If it's hot and humid, or cold and damp, or you've condensation issues what I do may not be at all a useful regime for you to adopt. One size does not fit all. You have to have your storage rules on oiling to fit your unique storage circumstances...and not mine nor Gun Blue 490's situation.

Been in possession of guns for some 70 plus years....yes I had my first air rifle aged 7yrs and my grandfather showed me out to carefully apply oil where required and he always had a small feather handy to reach into diffuclt to reach parts BUT he never lathered it on, just enough to keep joints moving sweetly and protect from rust.

That is the secret. I now just wipe over with a lightly oil cloth IF i have been out in damp weather and if in rain I always run some down the rib top and bottom, then wipe off because that is where damp will settle and will eat into your barrels.  Still use the good old 3 in 1.

Can I suggest that the OP watch this guys video on cleaning protecting and lubricating guns .

Just cant see where you get iy from that he suggests not to oil.

Just the opposite. In his long winded boring way he actually talks good sense. For instance he suggests having as we all do a lightly oiled cloth to wipe down with before storing.

WHAT HE DOES SAY AND HE IS CORRECT THAT TO OVER OIL AN AUTOMATIC GUN IS NOT GOOD AS THE LUBE CAN COLLECT DUST AND GRIT.

What he emphasise is just a light oiling. Please read it again.

57 minutes ago, samboy said:

I use oil and grease and have had no problems over the years but i do clean my shotgun after nearly every outing

so rust or crud does not get a chance to build up.

Guns should be cleaned EVERY time they are used.

Then they should be oiled, and ALL EXCESS OIL WIPED OFF. 
This will protect from rust and wiping the liquid oil away actually provides better lubrication.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

This will protect from rust and wiping the liquid oil away actually provides better lubrication.

Which is exactly what the video says only he takes an hour to do it!

15 hours ago, London Best said:

Agreed completely - and with one clarification/explanation.

Areas that are 'working surfaces' like the joint pin/hook need to be wiped quite clean when doing the post use cleaning, then very lightly oiled/greased with fresh clean oil/grease.  The reason is that any abrasive dust/dirt/grit that does (and it is a fact that it does) get in the oil/grease is wiped away with the oil and the new is clean and non abrasive.  Just like changing the oil on a car.

Certain individuals have the unfortunate ? -albeit inherent tendency to induce rust formation on bare metal surfaces just by handling the gun. Others, fortunate people, seemingly do not have this "disability" - presumably it is related to personal secretion NaCl content.

So, the best rule ....always wipe down after handling.

Incidentally, there was a post on Double Gun forum with a detailed comparison of many oil and grease preparations - notably 3-in-1 did not prove particularly effective at eradication of moisture.