Black Powder box

Graham M

So here's a question for you. When I talked to my FEO last week she pointed out that my box, that was used to store my black powder in, should have been chained to the wall. This puzzled me because in the event of a fire the firemen (or should that be fire persons?) wouldn't be able to grab it and throw it out of the house. I have also spoken to someone who has been in contact with the fire service and they themselves have raised doubts about this.

Anyone else received this "advice"?

Up to about 8 years ago when we moved from the house mine was in the shed at the bottom of the garden. Thats where they told me to put it about 20 odd years ago.

In those days (don't know about now) it was nothing to do with security, 100% to do with fire risk  

Are you a member of MLAGB? if so talk to Andrew

Edited by Vince Green

Yep. had my BP licence just over a year. FEO said that as I had a workshop at the bottom of the garden he would like to see it stored in there 

. Also to fix the box with a light chain to the bench so as to make it difficult for a thief to just run off with it.

1 hour ago, cookoff013 said:

check what the government requires..
not hearsay.

It's not what the govmint says but what your FEO wants that matters. That is if you want a smooth ride.

12 hours ago, Windswept said:

This might be useful, it explains when and why a chain may be required.

https://www.mlagb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Shooters-and-Shooting-Guide-Issue-1-Amend-1-January-2020.pdf

Just read this and it seems to be what they want, so why do different FEO's ask for different things?

87. Where the place of storage is not a secured room or other suitably secure place the enforcing authority is likely to be satisfied that the physical resistance to attack is adequate when boxes used for the storage of shooters powder meet the following requirements: Guidance on Regulations – Firearms Users and Associated Trades Page 17 have securely fixed, robust steel hinges;  have a secure hasp used with a security grade padlock; and suitable arrangements have been made to frustrate attempts to remove the box. Examples of good practice are: bolting or screwing the box to the floor of the place where it is being kept securing it by either its handles (if they are bolted through the box) or by a similarly attached ring or other attachment, to a strong point using a good quality chain or fixed device and padlock.