Steel / Aftermarket chokes?

wildfowler.250

So I’ve been using steel for years and have been a big fan of Gamebore mammoth. Now, nothing’s really changed as far as gun and setup but I’m very aware recently with geese,(ducks not so much) that a lot of birds I’m often shooting twice. I used to use 42g 1’s and for the last year I’m onto BBs due to local availability but will go back to 1’s when I can. 

Ranges aren’t excessive,(most 40-50 yards). Fairly normal for the shore and about half the height of some of the birds I’ve seen shot at recently but that’s a separate issue. I’m just missing the bang and every other bird fold up. 

Now pattern plates are great and I’m going back to this soon but have people noticed a marked difference going with aftermarket chokes? Currently shooting everything through a half choke.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, wildfowler.250 said:

So I’ve been using steel for years and have been a big fan of Gamebore mammoth. Now, nothing’s really changed as far as gun and setup but I’m very aware recently with geese,(ducks not so much) that a lot of birds I’m often shooting twice. I used to use 42g 1’s and for the last year I’m onto BBs due to local availability but will go back to 1’s when I can. 

Ranges aren’t excessive,(most 40-50 yards). Fairly normal for the shore and about half the height of some of the birds I’ve seen shot at recently but that’s a separate issue. I’m just missing the bang and every other bird fold up. 

Now pattern plates are great and I’m going back to this soon but have people noticed a marked difference going with aftermarket chokes? Currently shooting everything through a half choke.

Thanks!

BB are most likely issue, they have 2 issues, lack of pattern and bridging, both of which contributes to poor patterns.

Go back to the 42g No1, much better pattern and will kill all geese within  50 yards.

10 hours ago, Stonepark said:

BB are most likely issue, they have 2 issues, lack of pattern and bridging, both of which contributes to poor patterns.

Go back to the 42g No1, much better pattern and will kill all geese within  50 yards.

It could well be BBs are partly to blame and I do value pellet count a lot which is why I’ve always been a fan of the 1’s. I’m sure the pattern can sort itself with a change of cartridge or choke. It’s the lack of “dead in the air” birds that bothers me. A lot of folk are singing the praises of TSS shot,(£££) at the moment which is interesting. I haven’t tried the new eley eco wads yet either but not a fan of all the plastic debris either

Hi wild Fowler 250 l asked my son about the chokes. He used Mandel Skeet choke with 3.5 inch Gamebore steel 3 shot in a benelli . He will use 3 inch 49 grams of power shot 13(home loads) through the same choke . The Skeet choke patterned best for the power shot . I don’t load many 12gauge steel now as the mammoth 3 shot works for him.This is for foreshore pinks. He will take steel and power shot with him. In the 10gauge he uses 56 grams of power shot 13 and 56 grams and 63 grams of ITM . With power shot we used smaller size pellets and a lighter load. TSS may be better in a20 or 28gauge. A heavy load of TSS would be devastating . With TSS you could use half the payload and that would mean half of the cost. He also uses the Eley bio wad cartridges and they are as good as any other steel cartridges. I will be loading TSS but only in small gauge. 

I've two kicks highflyers, a Mod in my sx3, recommend for BB shot and patterned well to 50 yards. The full I had in a Beretta Optima Plus barrel, better with smaller shot, disappointed with results on geese with BB.

Best all round chokes I found were the Carlson cremator medium and long range not cheap with delivery customs vat etc.

I now use Briley extended modified and xtra full which is 40 thou so just standard full in my eyes. Work well don't break the bank and cat take some punishment.

A very tight Terror or Jeb's get good reviews, expensive and terror don't make the tight ones anymore.

Edited by figgy

On 13/10/2020 at 23:16, Stonepark said:

I have killed a hell of a lot of foreshore geese with steel BBs. I use extra full chokes. I have absolutely no problem with geese at over 50 yards with BBs. Mammoths are probably B shot, anyway.

On 19/10/2020 at 21:11, Mutiny said:

Mine is the .705” - I haven’t had a chance to get out and try it out yet though

.705 must be for the 10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2020 at 20:20, motty said:

I have killed a hell of a lot of foreshore geese with steel BBs. I use extra full chokes. I have absolutely no problem with geese at over 50 yards with BBs. Mammoths are probably B shot, anyway.

.705 must be for the 10.

Cheers guys. Interesting to read what everyone is using. I think I’m going to go back to more pellets and tightening the chokes. Never thought of using the 42g 3’s but suspect they might be a little small for my liking,(shoot geese with 3’s but prefer them for ducks).

Motty our of interest, what choke are you using at the moment that’s extra full?

Edited by wildfowler.250

On 01/11/2020 at 23:01, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers guys. Interesting to read what everyone is using. I think I’m going to go back to more pellets and tightening the chokes. Never thought of using the 42g 3’s but suspect they might be a little small for my liking,(shoot geese with 3’s but prefer them for ducks).

Motty our of interest, what choke are you using at the moment that’s extra full?

I was using a Jebs .675 for a bit, but have gone for a full in the A350 for the time being. I still use a .705 Terror in the 10.