Volvo xc90 (2004)

hodge911

A word of warning !! 

My Xc90 started a little squeak on first start up in morning at tick over .. but as soon as the revs raised a little it went off I had a listen with bonnet open and it was coming from the aux drive belt ...it only lasted a few mins so I thought nothing of it as on inspection the 2yr old belt still looked fine as did the tensioner pulley & idler.

Last night the belt shreded 2 of the ribs and some of it has gotten into the timing belt cover and made the timing belt jump ... 

So according to the local garage it'll have "bent valves" .... 

So be warned if you have a Xc90 with the d5 engine get everything checked properly if it starts to squeak ....

I'll let you's know what damage has been done once I get the head off..

I'm going to remove and check all pulleys & the alternator clutch pulley

OUCH!!  I remember this being a problem with Volvos...OHHHH???  way back.  My friend had a belt disintegrate on the M! which wrecked the engine.  Like all of these main drive belts to the engine it is good to renew each year. Cheap at half the price of a rebuild.  Hope it is not too bad when you get inside.

43 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Very common. It's always advisable to change the aux belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and alternator clutch pulley at or before the recommended intervals. Prevention is better than the cure.

I did when I bought the car in oct 2018 .

Both timing belt kit inc water pump and aux drive belt & tensioner at the time the alternator clutch was fine .

It let go for a reason. If you didn't replace all of the parts I mentioned with original Volvo or OEM equivalent parts (INA), then it was pointless changing the aux belt in the first place. At the time of replacement the A/C compressor pulley should also have been checked. Pulleys tend to give a bit of notice before they fail. If a pulley is squeaking it's normally close to the point of complete failure.

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

It let go for a reason. If you didn't replace all of the parts I mentioned with original Volvo or OEM equivalent parts (INA), then it was pointless changing the aux belt in the first place. At the time of replacement the A/C compressor pulley should also have been checked. Pulleys tend to give a bit of notice before they fail. If a pulley is squeaking it's normally close to the point of complete failure.

Like I said in October 18 it had a new timing belt kit inc water pump all volvo and a gates aux drive belt kit .... I asked the Volvo independent garage to do what was necessary .

At the time they said the clutch pulley was fine no roughness / play and didn't look that old ....

The squeak was more like a damp belt squeak that only lasted less than a minute or so at tick over or until a few revs applied up to around 1.5k revs there was no visible unusual running in the pulleys .. or unusual wear on the aux belt....

It is what it is a breakdown.. 

I had taken i.m.o the correct preventive measures at purchase because there was no written evidence of them being changed prior to me buying the vehicle .

24 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Like I said in October 18 it had a new timing belt kit inc water pump all volvo and a gates aux drive belt kit .... I asked the Volvo independent garage to do what was necessary .

At the time they said the clutch pulley was fine no roughness / play and didn't look that old ....

The squeak was more like a damp belt squeak that only lasted less than a minute or so at tick over or until a few revs applied up to around 1.5k revs there was no visible unusual running in the pulleys .. or unusual wear on the aux belt....

It is what it is a breakdown.. 

I had taken i.m.o the correct preventive measures at purchase because there was no written evidence of them being changed prior to me buying the vehicle .

I'm not having a go at you just to be clear. You took the appropriate measures at the time based upon your understanding of maintenance. You can't be expected to know any better if you aren't involved in the automotive industry, but were you aware that there were still a number of Gates products circulating a few years ago that were defective? In particular the pulleys provided with some of their timing belt and aux belt kits. The pulleys were manufactured incorrectly which resulted in something called 'grease purge'. The grease within the bearing would make its way past the seals, leading to dry bearings and pulley failure. This is why you need to stick to OEM or OEM equivalent products (the original manufacturer of the belts and pulleys but not supplied by the vehicle manufacturer) when it comes to timing belts and front end auxiliary drive systems. If you have the original invoice for the Gates products that were fitted two years ago, and the mileage is still below the expected lifetime of the kit, it might be worthwhile getting an independent engineers report into the cause of the failure. If it turns out that it was one of the Gates pulleys that failed as a result of grease purge, you may be able to claim some costs back.

16 hours ago, Cannon said:

I'm not having a go at you just to be clear. You took the appropriate measures at the time based upon your understanding of maintenance. You can't be expected to know any better if you aren't involved in the automotive industry, but were you aware that there were still a number of Gates products circulating a few years ago that were defective? In particular the pulleys provided with some of their timing belt and aux belt kits. The pulleys were manufactured incorrectly which resulted in something called 'grease purge'. The grease within the bearing would make its way past the seals, leading to dry bearings and pulley failure. This is why you need to stick to OEM or OEM equivalent products (the original manufacturer of the belts and pulleys but not supplied by the vehicle manufacturer) when it comes to timing belts and front end auxiliary drive systems. If you have the original invoice for the Gates products that were fitted two years ago, and the mileage is still below the expected lifetime of the kit, it might be worthwhile getting an independent engineers report into the cause of the failure. If it turns out that it was one of the Gates pulleys that failed as a result of grease purge, you may be able to claim some costs back.

Thanks and apologies I wasn't in the best frame of mind the other night .. I am sorry if my replies were a tad abrupt ( I suppose I shouldn't have replied until I'd calmed down).... 

I was in the trade but left it around 15 yrs ago after a serious back injury... 

Unfortunately I can't afford to put it into the garage for repair so it looks like I'm going to have to get the tools out of mothballs and pull the head off & see what damage it's done .. 

If you need parts FRF Swansea does a discount scheme “C3” I think is the reference for owners club members 😉 once you know what parts are needed best give them a call this week incase they have to close for “firebreak“ next Week 😒

Edited by HDAV

1 hour ago, hodge911 said:

I've bought a bare S/H engine to take the cylinder head off , send it to the engine manufacturer to get skimmed , de-coke , new valve stem seals , valves & seats recut then rebuild with new gaskets and head bolts  , belts ect 

GOD I HATE CARS !!!

Not good fella, at least you can save on labour costs, that's got to be a good few dollars in your pocket.  

Atb Scobydog 

3 hours ago, scobydog said:

Not good fella, at least you can save on labour costs, that's got to be a good few dollars in your pocket.  

Atb Scobydog 

Yea I was getting quotes of around £3-450 labour + parts .... 

Doing the job isn't a problem as before I gave it up (back trouble & to look after the mrs ) I was a mot tester / mechanic .

It's still going to be around £500+ in parts and skimming & pressure testing the S/H head ect .

Aaaarrrrggghhh!!!.

Poxy scrap yards. I bought a S/H bare engine from a breakers on ebay as I only wanted the head . I unwrapped it today to remove the head and was surprised to see the injectors were still in considering every other removable part had been removed .

On inspection they've snapped torx bits in 2 different injector bolts and stripped another 3 .

I managed to remove the 2 bolts from number 1 but the injector is seized solid into the head number 3 has been siliconed in  so it's going back.. I've just been on and started a return dispute as they described it as a "usable item with ancillaries removed" 

9 hours ago, Cannon said:

I must say that's a cracking job you've done of the cleaning. That carbon isn't exactly easy to remove at the best of times. Should definitely improve the intake airflow.

It certainly is not .

I scraped the thick off with a plastic scraper then let the bits sit in degreaser for 48hrs jet washed off then set about buffing them 

Haha the cheeky begger !

The breaker has sent a message saying will I accept £100 partial refund and keep the pile of poop he sent ... that is completely useless . He advertised it as. Low mileage working engine but may have a problem ... ebay has thankfully agreed in my favour as I gave a full description of what they've knacked on it trying to remove the injectors inc pics. They have awarded a full refund and said the seller must pay for the return ...... hence the partial refund offer bloody idiots why would I want to pay £80 for a piece of scrap worth a couple of £

On 26/10/2020 at 18:53, hodge911 said:

Haha the cheeky begger !

The breaker has sent a message saying will I accept £100 partial refund and keep the pile of poop he sent ... that is completely useless . He advertised it as. Low mileage working engine but may have a problem ... ebay has thankfully agreed in my favour as I gave a full description of what they've knacked on it trying to remove the injectors inc pics. They have awarded a full refund and said the seller must pay for the return ...... hence the partial refund offer bloody idiots why would I want to pay £80 for a piece of scrap worth a couple of £

heres a couple of pics of the engine they sent with the snapped torx bits and the silicone ... on a + note ebay have made the seller give me a full refund and he has to get the engine collected from me .

but be careful  i am 99% sure he has the same engine listed on his ebay shop but hes listd it as " spares or repair parts only no returns!! " in the pics he has up it has silicone around the injector like this one and has the white tag attached yo the flywheel with the same number on it as this one 

ebay item number 

IMG_20201025_154945.jpg

IMG_20201025_155018.jpg

IMG_20201025_155033.jpg

IMG_20201025_155045.jpg

IMG_20201025_155002.jpg