NV Scope wearing glasses

PowderBurner

Hi all, 

I have been looking at IR scopes for some late night bunny reduction. My concern, being a glasses wearer, is all of the scopes have a rubber eye piece.

Has anybody had bad experiences wearing glasses and using a scope with the rubber eye piece?

I would add I have no issues with normal scopes.  That said with binoculars and range finders (no eye relief) I have to, inconveniently, remove my glasses.

Cheers Mike

13 hours ago, PowderBurner said:

Hi all, 

I have been looking at IR scopes for some late night bunny reduction. My concern, being a glasses wearer, is all of the scopes have a rubber eye piece.

Has anybody had bad experiences wearing glasses and using a scope with the rubber eye piece?

I would add I have no issues with normal scopes.  That said with binoculars and range finders (no eye relief) I have to, inconveniently, remove my glasses.

Cheers Mike

Hello, some night vision scope you can take rubber eye piece off like photon RT, what scope are you thinking to buy, do you find the rear scope dioptre + - not enough magnification ? On one of my day scopes I use a Rise 37mm close up + 2 mag lens fitted on back glass with sparky tape,  I do not need to wear glasses, so far the dioptre on other scopes work ok.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, some night vision scope you can take rubber eye piece off like photon RT, what scope are you thinking to buy, do you find the rear scope dioptre + - not enough magnification ? On one of my day scopes I use a Rise 37mm close up + 2 mag lens fitted on back glass with sparky tape,  I do not need to wear glasses, so far the dioptre on other scopes work ok.

I have been looking at the ATN 4K as it is a day and night scope.  No issues using my glasses with day scopes, eye relief is no problem. If that is the same with NV scopes then I’m good to go.  What I don’t want to be doing is lifting my glasses to scope something because the eye cup is preventing suitable eye relief with glasses on. 

TBH, I'm only really posting because you mentioned ATN. This problem is a right pain in the rear. Until the tube started to lose it I used an ATN Yoyager for years coupled up with a day scope/lamp. No problem as the (older) Voyager  was a binocular monocular and both eyes with glasses could fit into the cup. I did try a digital sight but had your problem but also was partially blind for a while after looking through it. Then tried a cheap digital spotter which broke. Then , just recently, after liking the image intensification option, I tried a cheaper version - Gen 1. Forget it, it's just gone back as useless. As it has no cup and I've listened to everyone, I've just gone for a Axiom Key xm30 thermal spotter which has been described as a 'game changer' and costs the same-ish as the ATN4K. The lamp is now a NM1 XL torch. Yep, one can't say that nothing has ever legged it when lit up - as opposed to waving a lamp all over the place trying to find anything -  but if you keep the power to the minimum necessary - the XL is variable -  and keep the target out of the beam centre until you're going to shoot, you don't lose too many. I would argue from my point of view that you lose less when relaxed and comfortable than getting all ratty because you can't quite see.

I shoot all the time with NV using glasses as I have both a Ward D 700 and a pard 008.

However using NV with the rubber cups is never an issue using my glasses the eye relief on these is really the same as using a scope. They are different to Binos and NV spotters which generally have your eye quite close to the rear lens for the NV I have used the eye relief is more pronounced.   

An example of this for me is when I am using my thermal spotter I generally have to pop my glasses up to get a clear view but for my NV and scopes its glasses on. 

The only down side is if you have a sweat on after a long walk and its humid as your glasses tend to steam up when using the rubber cup.