Using a motorbike?

HuskyRich

So literally randomly and out of the blue today I've managed to get myself a perm on a bit of land that hasnt been shot in ages 🤑 

Only thing is transport. It's fairly local but I don't have a 4x4 anymore and it's quite muddy down there. I have a XR650R though and was wondering if it would be viable to use for getting down there...

Was thinking of sticking an ATV style guncase on the rear. Could use a fishing bag for some extendable poles and net for hide and could have a bag for carts and odds and ends.

Just wondering if it's doable... If I end up shooting loads I dunno what I'll end up doing with then, maybe a foldable shovel and bury?

Also won't have a seat 🤔

Only have space for one vehicle at our house now and Mrs not keen on car going off-road again since I tore the entire inner wheel arch out last time 👀

Just typical I finally get a perm and I can't get there 😭

19 minutes ago, HuskyRich said:

wondering if it's doable... If I end up shooting loads I dunno what I'll end up doing with then, maybe a foldable shovel and bury?

Surely that's not what you do !!!! . Seems pointless to me why even bother. Just the sort of thing the antis on here want to see. 

32 minutes ago, mellors said:

Surely that's not what you do !!!! . Seems pointless to me why even bother. Just the sort of thing the antis on here want to see. 

Last perm I had for a local keeper I just put everything in the his chest freezer.

I neither have a chest freezer nor anyone that would want to take anything that I might be shooting.

End of the day pest control/crop protection is a legitimate and justified reason for shooting and I've been after a perm for a while and could potentially lead to other opportunities - we all know how hard it is to get good perms these days!

As for the Antis... Well, they're always gonna Anti. No matter what we do or don't. They will always find something. I just ignore em, best way.

12 minutes ago, HuskyRich said:

Crop protection and keeping pests away from the pigs

I assumed wrongly it was pigeon. Had a couple of chaps on the estate asked for pigeon shooting. a couple of days later found bodies all down the ditch. They won't be coming again. 

19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Chop your present bike in and swap/buy an ATV road registered. Problem solved....... if you have srorage for same.

Again, did think about getting a quad as seems like logical option as buying another 4x4 just for going shooting is a bit excessive - and impossible given current situation with parking.
Annoyingly, I only have maybe 2.5 - 3 ft access down side of house, just enough to get bike in and out but that's it. Not much space out front either...

And sell the XR! Never! She's a keeper :)

50 minutes ago, HuskyRich said:

Again, did think about getting a quad as seems like logical option as buying another 4x4 just for going shooting is a bit excessive - and impossible given current situation with parking.
Annoyingly, I only have maybe 2.5 - 3 ft access down side of house, just enough to get bike in and out but that's it. Not much space out front either...

And sell the XR! Never! She's a keeper

How about a sledge tied behind I use a two person one with the quad from the range. Think it was around £6. Get all my pigeon kit on it tied on with bungees. Also two blue IKEA bags for the pigeon the hold 100 if it's a good day strapped on the top. 👍

Trailer won't work, because my bike is a motocross/enduro it has no real rear subframe. The frame that is there is just for the rear mudguard.

tDJUnk.jpg

Would be difficult enough just to manage to figure out how to get a gun case fixed onto it. I have seen someone done it to one of these before though so it's definitely do-able.

Edited by HuskyRich

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Can’t you just put a gun slip diagonally across your back like I and thousands of others did in the 1960’s?

The main thing is what about the rest of the stuff?
Was just wondering if anyones done it before what what stuff to use? Will need to be absolute bare minimum as will not be able to carry much stufff at all.
What about hide, seat, bag for other stuff etc.

9 hours ago, wisdom said:

The army had a solid gun case for rifles that fitted the crosser type bikes.Try surplus suppliers they were abs really well made and lockable.They took a rifle and scope not sa80 size more sniper rifle size

Yeah sort of thing I'm after.
Just also need to be able to find or make a hide that packs down super small into a small fishing bag or something

Edited by HuskyRich

You will struggle off road in the wet n mud with those tyres. Especially fully loaded. Saddle bags and tank bag work. Adapt tall rucksack/ bergan. Seat will take the weight. Brake gun down to barrel length. Get short/ same length padded fishing rod holdall, soft or hard case. Put in or attach to back pack. Think how it will all work if/ WHEN! you come off. Kit damage/ can you pick up repair/straighten bike with kit on it. Will you be able to ride bike with field boots on?      NB 

39 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

You will struggle off road in the wet n mud with those tyres. Especially fully loaded. Saddle bags and tank bag work. Adapt tall rucksack/ bergan. Seat will take the weight. Brake gun down to barrel length. Get short/ same length padded fishing rod holdall, soft or hard case. Put in or attach to back pack. Think how it will all work if/ WHEN! you come off. Kit damage/ can you pick up repair/straighten bike with kit on it. Will you be able to ride bike with field boots on?      NB 

I have another set of rims with fat knobblies. Those are just my pavement smashers.

I normally ride in boots anyways so that's not an issue.

Will have to see if theres a tank bag for MX/Enduro style tanks. Could be useful.

Not so worried about coming off really. I've ridden loaded enduros and heavy adventure bikes (Africa Twin, Varadero, Triumph tiger, V strom etc) all over the world.
Not saying it'll never happen but, been there done that. Be alreet.
But that was my thinking for an atv style gun case. As long as the gun is alright then I'm happy.

I do actually have a 200L bergen thinking about it now you mention bergens... Have to find it out.

Anyone have any recommendations recomendations for extendable poles for a hide?

On 15/10/2020 at 19:19, HuskyRich said:

Trailer won't work, because my bike is a motocross/enduro it has no real rear subframe. The frame that is there is just for the rear mudguard.

tDJUnk.jpg

Would be difficult enough just to manage to figure out how to get a gun case fixed onto it. I have seen someone done it to one of these before though so it's definitely do-able.

very nice bike.

Rather than trying to lug hide poles around you might be better off just carrying some spring clamps and a pruning saw, then obtaining some ash or hazel sticks on site, depending on what's available at/near your shooting location.  Push them into the ground and use the spring clamps to fix the net to them.  If you're going to be shooting in near enough the same location all the time you can stash the sticks somewhere for future use.  Likewise, a 25L plastic jerry can or similar size bucket you could stash for a seat and if necessary it could be filled with any shot birds you want to extract from the location, even your decoys if you think the place is devoid enough from humans to risk leaving paid for kit somewhere out in the field.

I think a lot of people might say you need to think a bit bigger - many would consider a properly off-road capable 4x4 to be as standard a piece of equipment as a gun or decoys.

To be really honest I think you're very optimistic trying to make this work based around using a motorbike as transport, but it doesn't mean it can't be done... you may be starting a new trend!  Good luck :)

Edited by Jim Neal

Looks like your just gonna have to walk mate. If you can, get some big waterproof barrels and pack your stuff into them and hide them on your shoot. Then all you need to take on the day is gun and cartridges, and a game bag. Which should easily go on your bike.

Maybe I'm just trying to make life difficult for myself, but then I've always been pig headed and stubborn like that 😁

Some of the land I will be shooting over crops is bordered by trees so yeah I can use my foldable pruning saw to make some hides up along the field margins. I had not actually thought of that 👍
Some of the other land will be more difficult, especially around the pigs as most of those fields are pretty open although there are the odd hay bale stacks dotted around I could use to make some cover against. (I will be using a hushpower for shooting around the pigs in case anyone was wondering)

Or if all else fails there is the ultimate backup option, get one of those off-road trolleys with big chunky flotation tyres and park up in the mrs car somewhere and pull a trolley with all my stuff down to where I need to go... Not really enthusiastic about this option tho.

Also have to promise the mrs that her car won't get trashed... again 🙄

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Garden-Trolley-Cart-All-Terrain/dp/B00HW54L10

Wonder if I can stick a battery and electric motor on one of those?

On 15/10/2020 at 14:46, HuskyRich said:

So literally randomly and out of the blue today I've managed to get myself a perm on a bit of land that hasnt been shot in ages 🤑 

Only thing is transport. It's fairly local but I don't have a 4x4 anymore and it's quite muddy down there. I have a XR650R though and was wondering if it would be viable to use for getting down there...

Was thinking of sticking an ATV style guncase on the rear. Could use a fishing bag for some extendable poles and net for hide and could have a bag for carts and odds and ends.

Just wondering if it's doable... If I end up shooting loads I dunno what I'll end up doing with then, maybe a foldable shovel and bury?

Also won't have a seat 🤔

Only have space for one vehicle at our house now and Mrs not keen on car going off-road again since I tore the entire inner wheel arch out last time 👀

Just typical I finally get a perm and I can't get there 😭

####ing bury I do hope you are shooting crows not pigeons?

Edited by blackbird

• 3 weeks later...