Using a motorbike?

HuskyRich

On 02/11/2020 at 21:44, Jim Neal said:

So have you tried it out yet?!

Right so. Actually used my brain for once...
Had a word with the farmer and asked if he had a couple of barrels or anything I could use for storage knocking about and if so could he drop down to a couple of places where I would be shooting which he did.
I then used the missus car (after promising her I won't take it off road a million times 😆) and made a stash at both sites each with some basic tools, pruning saw, shovel, cable ties, poles, netting, decoys and folding seats etc.
So now all I have to do is load up a medium sized bergen with my gun broken down, some munchies, cartridges etc and hop on the bike.
Both of the stashes are pretty close to where I will mostly be shooting so don't have to trapse far to get everything set up 👍

It's a bit of a nightmare at night though as light on my bike isn't too great and the tractors and telehandlers have really been makin a good old soup up on the pig fields but it's all good fun :)
Just get moaned at for coming home covered in mud and stinky pig mud 🙄

Mostly been going down in evening on the rats with air rifle although it's been getting down to freezing figures this last week or so... Not sure if I'll be finding the enthusiasm for it again until spring lol... Forgot how bloody cold it is riding bikes this time of year.
hey ho. Gotta **** with the cock ya got.

Edited by HuskyRich

Make a rack for the back of your bike fit a large box. Seat can be a backpack one work like a rucksack. 

I'd stick with bike, easier down wheelings and get through gaps in fences. 

You can make a bike work if you want to. Otherwise do as others do, use car leave it where you can and walk.

22 hours ago, HuskyRich said:

.......... although it's been getting down to freezing figures this last week or so... Not sure if I'll be finding the enthusiasm for it again until spring lol... Forgot how bloody cold it is riding bikes this time of year........

Damart thermals are the stuff for riding in at this time of year, or if they are too hot, Patra pure silk vest and longjohns

Aye I use longjohns.
I do have some nice heated touring trousers and jacket but would need to upgrade stator on this 650 first... I do have a 200w sator knocking around as been meaning to get a beefy LED lamp on it, least then I can plug my heated jacket and trousers in and won't be so much of a problem.
Or just wait till next summer 😆

But yeah bike is great for mobility around the farm.

Edited by HuskyRich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’d just use a surplus british army Bergen , still use one now if it’s muddy , I won’t drive on the margins if it’s wet , 

they are big enough for poles , net , seat,  carts , even get a magnet and couple of floaters in it along with ten half shell decoys , if you’re on the bike loosen the straps so the seat supports it on your back 

only drawback I have is if I have a good day it’s two journeys second one to bring back the pigeons to the car , 

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2020 at 22:40, HuskyRich said:

I have another set of rims with fat knobblies. Those are just my pavement smashers.

I normally ride in boots anyways so that's not an issue.

Will have to see if theres a tank bag for MX/Enduro style tanks. Could be useful.

Not so worried about coming off really. I've ridden loaded enduros and heavy adventure bikes (Africa Twin, Varadero, Triumph tiger, V strom etc) all over the world.
Not saying it'll never happen but, been there done that. Be alreet.
But that was my thinking for an atv style gun case. As long as the gun is alright then I'm happy.

I do actually have a 200L bergen thinking about it now you mention bergens... Have to find it out.

Anyone have any recommendations recomendations for extendable poles for a hide?

Milk crate on the rack.  gun on shoulder diagonal.

One must is a duck foot on your side stand. used my XT600 for getting to difficult places for years. the duck foot is a must. Make one and weld it on.

http://milkcratedigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/moto-crate.jpg

Edited by MARSH GUN