Greylag Breasts

Lloyd90

A goose tagine?

Pop the meat in a plastic bag with your favourite curry spices & some olive oil to marinade in the fridge overnight.

Slice & fry 2 large onions, with a dessertspoon each of ground cumin, coriander, turmeric. Let it sizzle until the onions go all soft. 

Chop & add the meat & some garlic & fry that in the mix until it's sealed.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, some paprika, crushed green cardamom pods, a tablespoon of tom puree, a glug of lime juice and dried apricots. 

Fuzz into the slow cooker for a day and it's yummerama. 

1 hour ago, arjimlad said:

A goose tagine?

Pop the meat in a plastic bag with your favourite curry spices & some olive oil to marinade in the fridge overnight.

Slice & fry 2 large onions, with a dessertspoon each of ground cumin, coriander, turmeric. Let it sizzle until the onions go all soft. 

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, some paprika, crushed green cardamom pods, a tablespoon of tom puree, a glug of lime juice and dried apricots. 

Now that sounds like a good plan. 

I have done similar in the past with lamb, although that is a fattier cut of meat. Let’s hope this turns out ok. 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

My Mrs wants it roasted like goose, I have told her its not like the shop bought one we have for xmas dinner  but they can't be told! 

It needs a lot of spices to even be considered anything but fit for dog food in my opinion. As much chili as you can stand is a start.

/Markus

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

My Mrs wants it roasted like goose, I have told her its not like the shop bought one we have for xmas dinner  but they can't be told! 

in that case your only hope is to wrap the breasts in streaky bacon and roast in a very hot oven. Rest for as long as you cook them whilst knocking up a sauce using red currant jelly, port and butter. If your wife is like mine and wants all meat cremated then you will have to slice her meat really thin having removed yours from the oven when still pink.

I popped this in the slow cooker this morning, and it smells amazing !!

On 15/10/2020 at 17:14, arjimlad said:

A goose tagine?

On 15/10/2020 at 21:51, 243deer said:

in that case your only hope is to wrap the breasts in streaky bacon and roast in a very hot oven. Rest for as long as you cook them whilst knocking up a sauce using red currant jelly, port and butter. If your wife is like mine and wants all meat cremated then you will have to slice her meat really thin having removed yours from the oven when still pink.

Wise words. I also use a roasting bag to keep as much moisture in as possible. 

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

I popped this in the slow cooker this morning, and it smells amazing !!

May your mouth be watering all day with anticipation... will you hold out until this evening ? 

Bon appetit. Hope you enjoy it. Not too late to add a little chorizo to the mix.

A goose tagine?

I've this simmering in the slow cooker. It smells fantastic.  Really looking forward to trying it.

1 hour ago, arjimlad said:

It's a family favourite in my house. Been on tenterhooks to know how @Smokersmith got on yesterday though !

PS you can always add a little cream near the end of cooking to thicken it up & give it a bit of a massala flavour.

Well, that was a huge success!! Top recipe and recommended highly!

Thanks arjimlad. 

13 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Mine was shaping up well, but was a little disappointing tbh. 
I ended up with quite a bitter flavour ... perhaps cooked for too long (8 in the morning till 6pm?)

I also chopped my lime up and added it bits n all like lemon in a normal tagine.

I've only ever added a gloop of lime juice, maybe the whole thing was too much. 

A different take.  I have a restaurant owner friend who used to shoot Canadas, which are notorious for being tough.  His method was to slather the breasts in Apricot jam, put them in the fridge for a week, then pan fry for 4 minutes a side, and slice thinly to serve. It was quite delicious.

A goose tagine?

Holy ****. That sounds good. 

I'll do that tomorrow with some canada breasts I have in the freezer. 

This might be the best post on Pigeonwatch 2020.