Jump to content

Greylag Breasts


Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...
On 15/10/2020 at 17:14, arjimlad said:

A goose tagine?

Pop the meat in a plastic bag with your favourite curry spices & some olive oil to marinade in the fridge overnight.

Slice & fry 2 large onions, with a dessertspoon each of ground cumin, coriander, turmeric. Let it sizzle until the onions go all soft. 

Chop & add the meat & some garlic & fry that in the mix until it's sealed.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, some paprika, crushed green cardamom pods, a tablespoon of tom puree, a glug of lime juice and dried apricots. 

Fuzz into the slow cooker for a day and it's yummerama. 

 

 

@arjimlad Don't let me down, this is my New Year's Day dinner!!  I've got everything pinned on you! (OK got frozen bolognese as a backup)

 

1605247634_GooseTagine1.jpg.203daacbdee4bafe29d4036ec13cd88c.jpg

 

332019094_GooseTagine2.jpg.7f23a464e3677d3e1828b59a4387fd86.jpg

1135868988_GooseTagine3.jpg.f4831714e31aba510827a0377e0d709d.jpg

1365821486_GooseTagine4.jpg.ec10521412036beaae84eb6bf4a28c43.jpg

I've gone proper Moroccan and marinaded with Ras El Hanout.  Got a "proper" tagine dish as well although it might not be big enough!  Think I'll probably test it for spiciness part way and maybe whack a bit of garam masala in if I think it needs it.  I have to be careful with a 4 yr old and a non-spice lover also eating it.  Just praying it's not going to turn out tough or disgusting, fingers crossed.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

@arjimlad Don't let me down, this is my New Year's Day dinner!!  I've got everything pinned on you! (OK got frozen bolognese as a backup)

 

1605247634_GooseTagine1.jpg.203daacbdee4bafe29d4036ec13cd88c.jpg

 

332019094_GooseTagine2.jpg.7f23a464e3677d3e1828b59a4387fd86.jpg

1135868988_GooseTagine3.jpg.f4831714e31aba510827a0377e0d709d.jpg

1365821486_GooseTagine4.jpg.ec10521412036beaae84eb6bf4a28c43.jpg

I've gone proper Moroccan and marinaded with Ras El Hanout.  Got a "proper" tagine dish as well although it might not be big enough!  Think I'll probably test it for spiciness part way and maybe whack a bit of garam masala in if I think it needs it.  I have to be careful with a 4 yr old and a non-spice lover also eating it.  Just praying it's not going to turn out tough or disgusting, fingers crossed.....

That looks perfect, hope it works out OK ! 

I tend to marinade and cook the breast without chopping it up but I'm sure yours will be toothsome & tender. 

Edited by arjimlad
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I missed that detail... I tend to presume that if you dice it first it gives the marinade a chance to really soak in well to the meat.  Sure it won't be a deal breaker...

Got it all prepped this morning, although with a bit of a New Year lie-in and parent duties it didn't get in the oven until just before 12.  Eating at 6, hopefully that's sufficient.

IMG_3243.jpg.fcbcda24dae0a389e5f939467408b829.jpg

I like a few chestnut mushrooms so whacked some in with it.

IMG_3245.jpg.fd5d25c7ec8e7dc6ca84345ecf544db1.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg.90fb5b2f12bc61e545f6f1290b6c09f0.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg.eb0a37068e455306c4c5bf5a083f0aac.jpg

It all JUST fitted in my tagine

IMG_3249.jpg.05e159a3e539332842fe66ad1078ccb0.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg.9a7eeda0ddc87d6c11a105c629bb3de1.jpg

Accompaniments ready to go:  Cous cous and some flatbreads.  Going to serve up in 10 minutes.... the moment of truth!!

IMG_3249.jpg

Edited by Jim Neal
Link to post
Share on other sites

leave the skin on....into a open dish in a hot oven (middle)...halfway thro pour over a sauce made from plum jam...vinegar...soya sauce....woster sauce...tomatoe sauce...brown sugar...and a bit of ginger..........

when done take out let it rest and slice it up and por sauce from yhe pan over it.....

serve up with sliced pots in cream/milk oinion that has been done in the oven...and fresh spring greens with a squeeze of lemon on them

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...... uhm.... not quite a roaring success! 🤔

I think it was mostly down to my errors.  My two biggest mistakes were:

1) I don't think it had enough liquid in it to begin with, and
2) I think because I'd not started it off quite as early as I wanted, I probably put the oven on a bit too hot - gas mark 3 as opposed to probably only requiring 1 or 2. 

When I took the tagine out of the oven, the lid was welded closed!

IMG_3251.jpg.c8bc257d17db1f14786df026c4d4698f.jpg

It had started to get a bit bit of a burnt crust on top!  I scraped off the top layer and what was underneath was just about salvageable.

IMG_3252.jpg.6f71c23b01c06e15ca48357a91eaa7f4.jpg

I think I might have slightly overdone it with the spicing... it was quite aromatic!  The Ras el Hanout I used was quite old so I just put the rest of the packet in.... could have been the extra spices added during cooking though, a little hard to tell but I'll review the spicing if I do it again.  I had noted arjimlad's comment above about putting some cream in it late on to give it more of a massala type of look/feel, but because of the horror that greeted me when I eventually managed to prise the lid off the tagine I think I just abandoned the idea.  Maybe would have rescued it but I didn't want to make it worse.

SWMBO didn't turn her face inside out, although I could tell she wasn't exactly eating it with the same zeal as a Domino's pizza.  We both finished our plate full.  My son initially said he liked it but then decided to just generally turn into a *** (as he quite often does at dinner time) and it was impossible to get him to eat anything other than the flatbread, although he did say later he liked the cous cous (but had hardly touched it at the time).  With anything spicy like chilli or curry I always mix in a bit of natural yoghurt with his, to dilute the spiciness, but he was having none of it.  Not a surprise but I was a little disappointed he didn't eat it.  He had some hastily prepared pasta instead.

My appraisal of the meal:  Texture-wise, the meat was like a cross between a poor cut of braising steak and lamb, that had been cooked too much and gone dry.  It crumbled as you bit into it.  Taste-wise, as I said very heavy on the spicing but not hot spicy as I knew I wouldn't get away with that, it was the aromatics like star anise, cloves, cinnamon etc in the spice mix.  I was very concerned it was going to taste like pond, because quite frankly the raw meat smelled like pond.   I only managed to detect a little of the actual taste of the meat, it was OK.  I put one packet (200g approx?) of dried apricots in, but I'd definitely double that next time for the same sized dish, maybe some other dried fruit as well to sweeten it up a bit.  The mushrooms must have all floated to the top and got scraped off with the volcanic crust because I only got one bit in my dinner!

Would I do it again?  Probably, because I know it was my mistakes that made it a bit disappointing.

I've just finished scrubbing the tagine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

leave the skin on....into a open dish in a hot oven (middle)...halfway thro pour over a sauce made from plum jam...vinegar...soya sauce....woster sauce...tomatoe sauce...brown sugar...and a bit of ginger..........

when done take out let it rest and slice it up and por sauce from yhe pan over it.....

serve up with sliced pots in cream/milk oinion that has been done in the oven...and fresh spring greens with a squeeze of lemon on them

Sounds an interesting one, I'll refer back to that next time someone knocks on my door and throws two geese at me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Sounds an interesting one, I'll refer back to that next time someone knocks on my door and throws two geese at me!

done it with duck..............should work well with the goose...very easy to do..........also works well with chicken thighs when you bone them out and lay them skin up like scallopps..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

Well...... uhm.... not quite a roaring success! 🤔

I think it was mostly down to my errors.  My two biggest mistakes were:

1) I don't think it had enough liquid in it to begin with, and
2) I think because I'd not started it off quite as early as I wanted, I probably put the oven on a bit too hot - gas mark 3 as opposed to probably only requiring 1 or 2. 

When I took the tagine out of the oven, the lid was welded closed!

IMG_3251.jpg.c8bc257d17db1f14786df026c4d4698f.jpg

It had started to get a bit bit of a burnt crust on top!  I scraped off the top layer and what was underneath was just about salvageable.

IMG_3252.jpg.6f71c23b01c06e15ca48357a91eaa7f4.jpg

I think I might have slightly overdone it with the spicing... it was quite aromatic!  The Ras el Hanout I used was quite old so I just put the rest of the packet in.... could have been the extra spices added during cooking though, a little hard to tell but I'll review the spicing if I do it again.  I had noted arjimlad's comment above about putting some cream in it late on to give it more of a massala type of look/feel, but because of the horror that greeted me when I eventually managed to prise the lid off the tagine I think I just abandoned the idea.  Maybe would have rescued it but I didn't want to make it worse.

SWMBO didn't turn her face inside out, although I could tell she wasn't exactly eating it with the same zeal as a Domino's pizza.  We both finished our plate full.  My son initially said he liked it but then decided to just generally turn into a *** (as he quite often does at dinner time) and it was impossible to get him to eat anything other than the flatbread, although he did say later he liked the cous cous (but had hardly touched it at the time).  With anything spicy like chilli or curry I always mix in a bit of natural yoghurt with his, to dilute the spiciness, but he was having none of it.  Not a surprise but I was a little disappointed he didn't eat it.  He had some hastily prepared pasta instead.

My appraisal of the meal:  Texture-wise, the meat was like a cross between a poor cut of braising steak and lamb, that had been cooked too much and gone dry.  It crumbled as you bit into it.  Taste-wise, as I said very heavy on the spicing but not hot spicy as I knew I wouldn't get away with that, it was the aromatics like star anise, cloves, cinnamon etc in the spice mix.  I was very concerned it was going to taste like pond, because quite frankly the raw meat smelled like pond.   I only managed to detect a little of the actual taste of the meat, it was OK.  I put one packet (200g approx?) of dried apricots in, but I'd definitely double that next time for the same sized dish, maybe some other dried fruit as well to sweeten it up a bit.  The mushrooms must have all floated to the top and got scraped off with the volcanic crust because I only got one bit in my dinner!

Would I do it again?  Probably, because I know it was my mistakes that made it a bit disappointing.

I've just finished scrubbing the tagine.

Awe, such a shame, the slow cooker's never let me down on this yet. Mine's always tasted great, really beefy flavour. Onwards and upwards!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Awe, such a shame, the slow cooker's never let me down on this yet. Mine's always tasted great, really beefy flavour. Onwards and upwards!

Yes I have been thinking it might have been better in the slow cooker but I thought seems as I have a traditional tagine why not use it.  As I said, lower heat next time and more liquid will hopefully do the trick.  The advantage of a slow cooker is the transparent lid so you can see what's going on!  I will try again at some point, as @ditchman says duck would be a good shout and I'll quite possibly be able to bag myself a couple of mallard before the season is out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this last night and turned out well

Ingredients
Serves: 4 

  • 4 goose breasts
  • salt to taste
  • 1 dash dry vermouth
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
  • 1 orange, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dark brown soft sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
  •  
  • Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Rinse the breasts in cold water and place in baking dish. Splash with vermouth, then season with salt; set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, dark brown soft sugar, garlic and soy sauce. Season with mustard and caraway seeds. Pour glaze over breasts in baking dish.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until no longer pink and juices run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

I halved all the ingredients as I only had 2 breasts but I will be doing it again and feel it would work well with duck too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...