Metal Detectors

button

1 hour ago, button said:

Hi

OH is keen on joining local digs group so was thinking of getting her one for Christmas, can anyone give me some recommendations of which to buy

Thanks

Ok , your budget  and will it be inland , or beach . Before you buy one have you got permission  of a landowner to detect . 

38 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Ok , your budget  and will it be inland , or beach . Before you buy one have you got permission  of a landowner to detect . 

Budget is whatever is needed, will  be inland, part of a local dig society so yes all above board

2 hours ago, button said:

Budget is whatever is needed, will  be inland, part of a local dig society so yes all above board

OK two of the most popular  at the moment  the Simplex around £ 400then the minelab equinox 800 around ,£ 800 to £ 900 . There are other  my detector is the XP Deus at around £1300  and to me is still the best detector on the market  . You want something light to handle . As it gets heavy swinging it all day . If you could join this group and ask to go on a dig then get to see some of these detectors in action . They may even have a club detector you could hire for the day.  Well that's a start  for now 

Having just got into this, as a very part time hobby! My methodology is shooting still comes first but if i fancy a day out when i don’t want to spend x on cartridges etc I will go metal detecting. Its good to pass a few hours ever other Sunday or so.

The man in the shop suggested this as a good starter detector. He said it gave a lot of value for the money. Then if I got into it I could always upgrade. 

https://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/minelab-vanquish/minelab-vanquish440

7 hours ago, johnphilip said:

OK two of the most popular  at the moment  the Simplex around £ 400then the minelab equinox 800 around ,£ 800 to £ 900 . There are other  my detector is the XP Deus at around £1300  and to me is still the best detector on the market  . You want something light to handle . As it gets heavy swinging it all day . If you could join this group and ask to go on a dig then get to see some of these detectors in action . They may even have a club detector you could hire for the day.  Well that's a start  for now 

That's great thanks

Thanks all

As a first machine the Garret ACE250 takes a lot of beating - you can pick them up for around £100 on facebook then fit a bluetooth transmitter for under a tenner and headphones around £25 - gives you a machine more than capable of finding stuff down to 6-7 inches depending on soil conditions. If you decide against the hobby you will lose very little on selling the machine. I have witnessed these little units constantly out performing far more expensive machines many times - the simplicity of use is a huge bonus in the field.

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the simplex will do all you need as a first detector, and the added beach mode not found in other detectors for the price, and easy to set up, if you want a high end go for the minelab nox 600, 

Just remember the values of items found eg tin foil/ ring pull could be silver, I have a very old hand made rusty nail, put under coil and turn up disc until sound stops, Dig everything else

8 hours ago, zipdog said:

Having just got into this, as a very part time hobby! My methodology is shooting still comes first but if i fancy a day out when i don’t want to spend x on cartridges etc I will go metal detecting. Its good to pass a few hours ever other Sunday or so.

The man in the shop suggested this as a good starter detector. He said it gave a lot of value for the money. Then if I got into it I could always upgrade. 

https://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detectors/minelab/minelab-vanquish/minelab-vanquish440

Hello, I just read the specs  not seeing these before, the multi frequency setting beats the simplex I mentioned,👍

19 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the simplex will do all you need as a first detector, and the added beach mode not found in other detectors for the price, and easy to set up, if you want a high end go for the minelab nox 600, looking at the specs on the minelab vanquish as zipdog mentioned, I must admit to changing recommendation so vanquish or 600 nox, 

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I just read the specs  not seeing these before, the multi frequency setting beats the simplex I mentioned,👍

The technology of simultaneous multi frequency detectors is a superior asset to metal detecting, that is why minelab hold their patent with iron gloves

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 hours ago, zipdog said:

Hello, the 540 has added Bluetooth which is a bonus with wireless phones