Polishing fine scratches out of oiled stock

jking

Hi,

What do you guys use to polish scratches out of your oil finished stock? I needed to knock back a bit of oiled finish which had gone a bit rough after steaming a dent out. I used the finest grade of wire wool and stock oil but I'm still left with swirl marks.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

In the past I’ve used those emery cloth sponge pads in their finest grade. 
A bespoke fitted kitchen/ cabinet maker mate of mine used nothing else, and his furniture was smooth as a smooth thing. 
Use whichever suitable oil you prefer, and don’t EVER throw the pad away; the more it’s used the tattier it becomes and the better it works. 👍

14 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

0000 grade wire wool with your favourite oil on it rub in the direction of the grain

So that's what I used and the wire wool caused the scratches.....I had plenty of oil on the stock as well

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

A bespoke fitted kitchen/ cabinet maker mate of mine used nothing else, and his furniture was smooth as a smooth thing. 
Use whichever suitable oil you prefer, and don’t EVER throw the pad away; the more it’s used the tattier it becomes and the better it works. 👍

Thanks I'll take a look online

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

These pads do work well!

39 minutes ago, jking said:

So that's what I used and the wire wool caused the scratches.....I had plenty of oil on the stock as well

Thanks I'll take a look online

you stated "swirl marks" ( what grade wire wool did you use ) hence me saying "go with the grain" with 0000 grade

Edited by Capt Christopher Jones

35 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

you stated "swirl marks" ( what grade wire wool did you use ) hence me saying "go with the grain" with 0000 grade

Good point, thanks.

I used 0000 grade, but will give it a go keeping with the grain and see how it looks. 

17 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Have a read up on " rottenstone" 

Thanks, will do

9 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I use a lot a rottenstone paste and then powder for final polish depending on how I want the finish to look satin or high gloss etc. 

I've ordered some rottenstone so will give it a go next week.

31 minutes ago, paulinlincs said:

Has the 0000 dulled the finish rather than scratched it?  Try palming a drop of stock oil to the affected area. 

It's actually done both. Where I have not gone with the grain it has left swirl marks, and it also generally dulled the finish. I palmed in a drop of oil and it improved it massively, but I can still see those swirl marks in certain light so I'd rather polish them out before adding any more layers of oil

9 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I use a lot a rottenstone paste and then powder for final polish depending on how I want the finish to look satin or high gloss etc. 

Out of interest, how does the rotten stone work? I used to use it as a fine filler but never thought of it as a polish. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got round to giving the rottenstone a go. I bought some felt to apply it with. A decent coverage of oil to lubricate and a bit of the powder sprinkled over the stock and it has worked a treat to remove the scratches and provide a nice flat, even finish. Now I just need to Palm in some oil to bring the shine back.

Thanks for your help

Soft cloth, I use old cotton t shirts cut up. I dust the stock with the powder dab a bit on the cloth wrappers around my finger, then rub fast. It feels like nothing is happening but it works.

WelshWarrior may have a different method.

The use of a Chamoix leather to rub the finish with rottenstone is traditional.

43 minutes ago, figgy said:

Soft cloth, I use old cotton t shirts cut up. I dust the stock with the powder dab a bit on the cloth wrappers around my finger, then rub fast. It feels like nothing is happening but it works.

WelshWarrior may have a different method.

The use of a Chamoix leather to rub the finish with rottenstone is traditional.

That's great, thanks very much for the advice. I'll get a couple of coats of oil on the stock first and let them dry for a couple of weeks before I polish it up