Polishing fine scratches out of oiled stock

Hi,

What do you guys use to polish scratches out of your oil finished stock? I needed to knock back a bit of oiled finish which had gone a bit rough after steaming a dent out. I used the finest grade of wire wool and stock oil but I'm still left with swirl marks.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

In the past I’ve used those emery cloth sponge pads in their finest grade. 
A bespoke fitted kitchen/ cabinet maker mate of mine used nothing else, and his furniture was smooth as a smooth thing. 
Use whichever suitable oil you prefer, and don’t EVER throw the pad away; the more it’s used the tattier it becomes and the better it works. 👍

14 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

0000 grade wire wool with your favourite oil on it rub in the direction of the grain

So that's what I used and the wire wool caused the scratches.....I had plenty of oil on the stock as well

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

A bespoke fitted kitchen/ cabinet maker mate of mine used nothing else, and his furniture was smooth as a smooth thing. 
Use whichever suitable oil you prefer, and don’t EVER throw the pad away; the more it’s used the tattier it becomes and the better it works. 👍

Thanks I'll take a look online

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

These pads do work well!

39 minutes ago, jking said:

So that's what I used and the wire wool caused the scratches.....I had plenty of oil on the stock as well

Thanks I'll take a look online

you stated "swirl marks" ( what grade wire wool did you use ) hence me saying "go with the grain" with 0000 grade

Edited by Capt Christopher Jones
35 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

you stated "swirl marks" ( what grade wire wool did you use ) hence me saying "go with the grain" with 0000 grade

Good point, thanks.

I used 0000 grade, but will give it a go keeping with the grain and see how it looks. 

17 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Have a read up on " rottenstone" 

Thanks, will do

9 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I use a lot a rottenstone paste and then powder for final polish depending on how I want the finish to look satin or high gloss etc. 

I've ordered some rottenstone so will give it a go next week.

31 minutes ago, paulinlincs said:

Has the 0000 dulled the finish rather than scratched it?  Try palming a drop of stock oil to the affected area. 

It's actually done both. Where I have not gone with the grain it has left swirl marks, and it also generally dulled the finish. I palmed in a drop of oil and it improved it massively, but I can still see those swirl marks in certain light so I'd rather polish them out before adding any more layers of oil

9 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I use a lot a rottenstone paste and then powder for final polish depending on how I want the finish to look satin or high gloss etc. 

Out of interest, how does the rotten stone work? I used to use it as a fine filler but never thought of it as a polish. 

12 hours ago, Scully said:

Out of interest, how does the rotten stone work? I used to use it as a fine filler but never thought of it as a polish. 

It makes a really fine slurry that does a great job especially on high gloss finishes.