Which Is It?

wymberley

There are 3 distinct possibilities; One, the PO is ripping us off big-time,; Two, they have no confidence in their own efficiency and Three, it's because they employ too many careless and/or thieving staff. I've just posted a parcel 1st class and it has been received at its destination. I can only imagine that too many do not.

The Post Office had it for just one day. As far as I'm concerned, as soon as they stuck the receipt for my payment for their services on it they accepted responsibility for it. I was asked what it was (fair dos now-a-days) and what was its value as if over £50 I could insure it for £11.

£11 a day!? I can insure at least a dozen average motorcars for less than that.

Rant ends.

31 minutes ago, wymberley said:

There are 3 distinct possibilities; One, the PO is ripping us off big-time,; Two, they have no confidence in their own efficiency and Three, it's because they employ too many careless and/or thieving staff. I've just posted a parcel 1st class and it has been received at its destination. I can only imagine that too many do not.

The Post Office had it for just one day. As far as I'm concerned, as soon as they stuck the receipt for my payment for their services on it they accepted responsibility for it. I was asked what it was (fair dos now-a-days) and what was its value as if over £50 I could insure it for £11.

Rant ends.

I must confess that many of your posts leave me bemused and wondering. This is another example.

Can't see why anyone should be confused by the post. The OP wanted to - and did - post a parcel. When he presented it at the Post Office he was offered the opportunity to insure it, presumably against loss, damage or theft, if its value was over £50 - i.e. he was invited to insure against an eventuality which, were it to occur,  would be wholly the fault of the Post Office.

Let's look at it another way. If you were eating out, how would you feel about being asked to insure your order in case the waiter dropped it on the way from the kitchen, or delivered it to the wrong table?

Same principle.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Rant ends.

3 minutes ago, aldivalloch said:

Can't see why anyone should be confused by the post. The OP wanted to - and did - post a parcel. When he presented it at the Post Office he was offered the opportunity to insure it, presumably against loss, damage or theft, if its value was over £50 - i.e. he was invited to insure against an eventuality which, were it to occur,  would be wholly the fault of the Post Office.

Let's look at it another way. If you were eating out, how would you feel about being asked to insure your order in case the waiter dropped it on the way from the kitchen, or delivered it to the wrong table?

Same principle.

Are you two taking the same medication by any chance ?

🤔😜

3 minutes ago, aldivalloch said:

Same principle.

Yes I'm with the op on this one, to my knowledge by law for anyone else, once an item is handed over, an individual would be expected to take reasonable care of an item, considering he's paid the PO to take care and deliver it already, in my opinion if the post office loses it, it should be their responsibility to pay for said item

4 minutes ago, JKD said:

Are you two taking the same medication by any chance ?

🤔😜

Haven't compared medical records...

I think we're both offended by the Post Office's shameless, cynical behaviour in a) abrogating responsibility for the goods it undertakes to convey, and / or b) conning extra money out of the public.

5 minutes ago, aldivalloch said:

Haven't compared medical records...

I think we're both offended by the Post Office's shameless, cynical behaviour in a) abrogating responsibility for the goods it undertakes to convey, and / or b) conning extra money out of the public.

I'll show you mine if you...............:lol:

If your parcel does get nicked, sorry, go missing - you try claiming, it's an absolute nightmare and some insurance only covers the actual cost of postage, not the goods. The PO has had it's day and should be allowed to die a natural and inevitable death. All through Covid I had one parcel after another delayed for so long that it would often have been quicker to walk to the senders address and collect it myself - PO response was always to blame Covid yet couriers such as DPD could deliver items across the country next day - as for value - I posted 34kg of bit's and pieces to my son in the Netherlands, PO quite was just over £100 for a 4-5 day service.....DPD was £34 for 48 hour delivery.

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

- as for value - I posted 34kg of bit's and pieces to my son in the Netherlands, PO quite was just over £100 for a 4-5 day service.....DPD was £34 for 48 hour delivery.

55 minutes ago, fern01 said:

Many of the couriers use the same charging method 

But obviously [as quoted above] at least one is WAY cheaper for the same service, but much quicker 😏

Edited by JKD

18 hours ago, wymberley said:

I too was bemused but then began to wonder if they were cleaning up in case there was something else on the horizon.

You are aware there are many other couriers about? 😂

I haven’t used Royal Mail / parcel force for years. 

Although, they ALL have their own downfalls. 

its pretty bad that the post office hold customers to ransom in this way .    you can either pay the standard charge and your parcel might get there , or , you can pay the standard charge , then pay extra for insurance ,  and theyll make sure that one of their staff doesnt steal it or break it.

my mrs must have lost many hundreds of pounds with things going missing with the post office . what she does now is ask for proof of postage from the post office (this is free) , then if an item goes missing , she makes a claim , she only does this with lower priced products , and for walking sticks and bears etc , she still has signed for deliveries.

A friend of ours son got a job working at a big post office depot at Greenford Middx while he was waiting to go into the RAF about ten years back. It was pretty shocking what was going on by all accounts. Virtually all the staff were temps like him on minimum wage. It was like an Aladdins cave for thieves.

Edited by Vince Green

I post a lot of engineers instruments around the country for the company i work for, and while a courier appears cheaper when i insure it the courier works out more than RM .

With special delivery i have £500 cover, if i want a £1000 cover it's only a couple of quid more,Special delivery is signed for by all who handle the parcel so it's less likely to go walkies.
They may be a rubbish old dinosaur of a delivery system, but in some areas they beat the competition.

Not as bad as FED ex who managed to deliver a parcel for my son from america which was supposed to contain a large diamond ring to propose to his girlfriend, it was all there the box, the certificate, a cleaning cloth but no ring. Thankfully the diamond dealer supplied another of better quality within 48 hrs so he could go through with his proposal.