Grey plague

harrycatcat1

There seems to be a tendency for having grey windows and doors nowadays and it makes you wonder if this will be the equivalent of the avocado suites fitted in the 70's. This is a link to the Daily Mail story if you have missed this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8830429/Tasteless-homeowners-slammed-Grey-Plague-trend.html

Have you got grey windows?

No because I'm too tight to buy new windows. But the daily fail article was concentrating more on the aspects of the whole design Inc garden. If you've a crappy house, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to visually improve it. 

Note how some of the photos are taken, the white shining in the midday sun, nice and bright, next one under shade. 

Screenshot_20201016_183923_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201016_183950_com.android.chrome.jpg

On the right house they look good, when I but my house it would have suited grey frames as the roof is slate so are the paths patio etc and it's rendered white. 

No way would I have grey render, looks miserable and even worse on a gloomy rainy day.

I must say with all the white UPVC we have had for decades it's nice to see courses doors and window frames again

The trend for grey windows is that RAL7016 is a good approximation of the colour and shade of the pane of glass with an unlit room behind it. In the right context it can work well. However most of those examples are pretty poor. The issue is less the windows and more the render / paint / cladding. 

However what is more awful is to mock an individual’s homes in this manner. There are rules within planning to protect the built environment use those not bullying. Using my professional eye I could criticise almost every building, I see the maker’s faults - but I choose not too. 

If they are made of uPVC then they can be sprayed pretty much any colour you want, a neighbour had this done - in grey - and with the new rendering they look great. 

We had new windows a few years back and went with black. On our estate there are white, brown, grey and black windows along with various brick and render finishes, I like the variation as it breaks up the original uniform design of the estate and adds a bit more individuality. The key to grey render finishes is not to go too dark, there are a few on our estate which have gone too far, the lighter ones look much better in my opinion.

The one thing I really dislike is pebble dash, just personal taste. I like black windows with white render (Johnstones Stormshield) and dark roofing - this is how I finished off my man cave.