First shoot day of the season

Cjbram

Sorry for your loss.  It's weird being without a dog when you're so used to having one.

I had to retire one of my 2 springers due to arthritis a couple of years back so I was down to one.  Then I had to leave her at home due to an injury one day last year and I felt lost all day... I kept looking down to the left almost giving commands to the dog that wasn't there!  I didn't shoot well, wasn't in the groove at all!  So glad to have her back the next time, horrible when you've lost your dog to think there won't be a next time.  Keep your chin up mate.  Get that pup trained up, the circle will continue :)

Yeah it was a funny day went to the butchers at dinner time and nearly bought him some sausage rolls i had to stop my self false of habit 

18 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Sorry for your loss.  It's weird being without a dog when you're so used to having one.

I had to retire one of my 2 springers due to arthritis a couple of years back so I was down to one.  Then I had to leave her at home due to an injury one day last year and I felt lost all day... I kept looking down to the left almost giving commands to the dog that wasn't there!  I didn't shoot well, wasn't in the groove at all!  So glad to have her back the next time, horrible when you've lost your dog to think there won't be a next time.  Keep your chin up mate.  Get that pup trained up, the circle will continue

Yeah know what you mean bud I was doing the same even went to the butchers at dinner time and nearly got him a sausage roll had to stop myself  just false of habit 

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

found myself talking to a empty passenger seat many times after losing the clanger having  a new lab pup helps a lot 

38 minutes ago, Cjbram said:

You don't realise till they gone bud 

When you run a team of dogs you find yourself ‘losing’ one about every three years.

It never gets any easier.

13 hours ago, London Best said:

When you run a team of dogs you find yourself ‘losing’ one about every three years.

It never gets any easier.

Iv had dogs all me life it gets no easier but when they love it like he did and he was only 8 its hard all the lads on the shoot were asking where he was they mist him as well as he worked for everyone not just me 

47 minutes ago, Cjbram said:

Iv had dogs all me life it gets no easier but when they love it like he did and he was only 8 its hard all the lads on the shoot were asking where he was they mist him as well as he worked for everyone not just me 

Yeah, we lost two cockers early in life. The dog didn’t even make 8 and the bitch died a week before she was 9. ******. We have been lucky with Labs though and have only lost one before she was 14. The other dozen or so all lived to 14+ and a few weeks off 16 in one case.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Yeah, we lost two cockers early in life. The dog didn’t even make 8 and the bitch died a week before she was 9. ******. We have been lucky with Labs though and have only lost one before she was 14. The other dozen or so all lived to 14+ and a few weeks off 16 in one case.

Yeah he was my first lab and the first gun dog I trained but life gose on I will train my mams and just use that