A surprise Goose

Big Al

Isn't it great when a surprise bunch of geese suddenly appear.You can't quite believe your eyes.Then you think "don't miss, don't miss" and down it comes.Great great feeling, people who don't do what we do just can't  understand the feeling of utter joy and sadness in almost the same second.

Well done you and must not forget Ted,another good retrieve.

3 hours ago, greylag said:

Isn't it great when a surprise bunch of geese suddenly appear.You can't quite believe your eyes.Then you think "don't miss, don't miss" and down it comes.Great great feeling, people who don't do what we do just can't  understand the feeling of utter joy and sadness in almost the same second.

Absolutely. We were ready to go home after that. It just couldn't be topped (although we bagged a few more teal afterwards. )

Teal and greylag. Two extremes. One great flight.

26 minutes ago, wigeon jim said:

👍 did you get it on video? Jim.

I was changing battery when the geese appeared from behind us, completely surprising us. The battery was in, but I totally forgot to turn it on again. Goose fever took over. I was so pleased with the goose, I didn't even swear when realised. I just got Ted coming back with that one. Typical. 

Bear retrieved Rabs goose- that's his first goose retrieve and he handled it well. No video record of the shots, but it's in my memory.

Rab and I have shot and fished together for years. We have tried unsuccessfully for geese in the past. I normally prefer to shoot alone, but the fact he was there was great too.

On 17/10/2020 at 16:52, greylag said:

So true I actually said sorry to a bird before I dispatched it at weekend. Was over the moon to get after such  a wild goose chase but such a lovely bird. Which is now a burger so maximum use all the way 

Lovely pic Al and well done 

35 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

So true I actually said sorry to a bird before I dispatched it at weekend. Was over the moon to get after such  a wild goose chase but such a lovely bird. Which is now a burger so maximum use all the way 

Lovely use of a truly wild prize,and lovely memories.

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

I've always argued that, more than quarry and place, being a wildfowler is a state of mind. By my reckoning and this post,  you are a true wildfowler.