First light

Ultrastu

So I got up this morning at 6 am  to try and get into the hedge hide before the crows got up  at first light. 

I made it in but hadn't got the deeks out yet before the freshly sowed wheat field was a swarm with crows  .

I resorted to lobbing some out as far as I could and loaded the semi auto .2 crows fell at the first wave as they came over so confidently .

I set these 2 up and 12 plastic decoys .just in time before the second wave of birds .

Talk about being in the right place at the right time .it was hectic  for the first 30 mins and I'd had 20 by 8am .it slowed up at about 9 am .but I had a steady trickle till about 10.30 when I run out of cartridges (been a long time since that has happened  ) 75 shots for 47 crows and jds  .

20b  mainly shot with 7.5 and 6 s 

I was trying some 24 grm no7.5 s and if the bird was in range it was just as dead as with any other cart  .

IMG_20201017_141344.jpg

IMG_20201017_141324.jpg

Edited by Ultrastu

Great work! 
I think you’ve found a good cartridge there. I also use 24 gram size 7 1/2 (12b). They really kill very cleanly inside about 30 yards. Low recoiling too - sweet to use. I have a choked barrel with 30 gram size 6 for the longer ranges. Nearly all my crows are shot inside the deac’ pattern with the lighter cart’s though. 

Thanks .I went with only crows In mind .I had some pigeon decoys(that I didn't put out )  and there were plenty about .but I declined shooting them even some close and easy shots I really wanted to hit the crows hard .

With the 24 grm 7.5  carts I found that range was limited to around 35 yds which is fine by me .the usual 32 grm no6 I feel maxes out at 40 - 45 yds 

And I got those 7.5 really cheap .at £67 a slab,  which for a 20b is excellent