410 Frustration.. again.

5 minutes ago, sitsinhedges said:

Thanks, do you know what speed they are doing?

Not yet squire.. I’ve got myself a Chrony Beta but need to get it set up plus some suitable pattern sheets and a backstop location without hinderance ie inquisitive livestock and/or dog walkers..

The tested loads (at clays) were clean burning with very little barrel residue. Factory loads always disappointed me with barrel fouling.. I believe little barrel residue might indicate high pressure though.

The recoil was punchy which was to be expected and noted that a number of empties were melted at their mouths, this I understand is due to fibre use so they’ve been binned...

2 hours ago, Salmo9 said:

Quick update folks.. got in touch with MEC and they stated that the resizing die should have an ID of 0.470” - 0.473”. Mine sits at 0.470” so it’s going to be a bit tight. Now, they also advised ensuring the deprime punch is concentric with the resize ring which I’d assumed would have been the case, not so on my machine. So, after some additional fiddling the situation has improved.

Now have a bunch of once used, high pheasant cases sporting full crimp closures Hull would be proud of, loaded with 20gms of 7’s sitting on fibre wads, driven by Federal 209A primers and Hodgdon H110 powder. Also collecting two additional chokes for the wee Yildiz today too.. Here’s one happy chappy..

Cheers..

Brilliant and as those good looking American waitresses say................ENJOY!

On 18/10/2020 at 20:21, Salmo9 said:

Spot on Gas Seal.. this reloading lark needs a bit of intuition and definitely a tentative feel for how each stage functions and delivers. I find myself now gently pinching the case at the base - plastic interface during crimping in a bid to detect case collapse/bulging which for me, happens at this point on the final straight. I know then to either adjust the crimp plunger and/or cam or alter the wad size or put less shot in.. Deep joy. Thankfully, I’ve not wasted too many brand new primed Fiocchi cases but oddly enough, still enjoying these challenges..

Yes, when I started loading 410s I had a problem with tight fitting shells and went back through the process very slowly and discovered just that. The cases where bulging only a tad just above the head. I was right in assuming the crimp stroke was doing this and it only required a quarter turn to rectify but still get a tidy finish.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Brilliant and as those good looking American waitresses say................ENJOY!

Thanks Walker570 - I’m tempted to loctite it all down but daren’t dismantle any of it for fear of losing all those valuable settings.. LoL..

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My Grandmother used to say all good things come in small packages and that certainly applies to the 410.

Must admit I’m fairly smitten with mine and looking forward to bagging a few driven birds with it this weekend..

Just been checking the proof marks on my Yildiz barrels and surprised to see the CIP S stamp plus the Birmingham twin crowns sitting above SUP which I believe equates to 1320bar proof or 19140 psi..!! 

Kinda edging into rifle territory here, me thinks..

Yep, they do run at high pressures and that is why you should always keep to published criterior and be precise with powder measurements and shot.  I don't trust the Mec to drop consistent 19.7g of SP3 in fact SP3 leaks all over the place it is so fine, so all of my powder is individually weighed as for rifle ammo.  Takes a bit longer but safer.

3 hours ago, Salmo9 said:

Must admit I’m fairly smitten with mine and looking forward to bagging a few driven birds with it this weekend..

Just been checking the proof marks on my Yildiz barrels and surprised to see the CIP S stamp plus the Birmingham twin crowns sitting above SUP which I believe equates to 1320bar proof or 19140 psi..!! 

Kinda edging into rifle territory here, me thinks..

Standard proof for a 410 3 inch, only 12 bore 3 1/2inch comes up to the same pressures.