22cf

willj

8 hours ago, willj said:

Evening all, I have just received my FAC after applying in June 2020, when applying I put down for 17 HMR 22CF and 22 Air, my question is can I purchase a 22LR instead of CF ? 

No. You will need to apply for a variation.
It is more than a RFD’s business  is worth to sell you something you don’t have a slot for. 

58 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Sometimes they come back with .22RF instead of .22LR which is a bit mad. 

.22RF  covers Short , Long , Long rifle & WMR

some forces can get confused about "winchester magnum RIMFIRE"

I applied for a 22wmr , it came back as 22RF , new gun entered on my cert as 22RF then it mysteriously changed to 22WMR on last renewal 🤔

Edited by wascal

11 hours ago, willj said:

Evening all, I have just received my FAC after applying in June 2020, when applying I put down for 17 HMR 22CF and 22 Air, my question is can I purchase a 22LR instead of CF ? 

When you put down 22CF ? What cal is exactly printed on your FAC ? 

Edited by blackbird

56 minutes ago, wascal said:

.22RF  covers Short , Long , Long rifle & WMR

some forces can get confused about "winchester magnum RIMFIRE"

I applied for a 22wmr , it came back as 22RF , new gun entered on my cert as 22RF then it mysteriously changed to 22WMR on last renewal 🤔

Mmmmm.....I already had a .22rf when Ruger brought out their WMR, and when I applied for another .22rf I fully intended to buy a WMR, which I did, and it was sold to me as a .22rf and entered on my ticket as such. 
Licensing never adjusted it on renewal which was the way I wanted it as it meant it left my ammo allowance unaffected also. 
I understand things have changed nowadays, and a lot can depend on your location and your RFD, but nevertheless, not even licensing can dispute WMR isn’t a rf. 

With licensing adjusting your ticket it means you cannot now but anything but a .22WMR, which is fine as long as you’re happy with that. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

With licensing adjusting your ticket it means you cannot now but anything but a .22WMR, which is fine as long as you’re happy with that. 

I have another 2 .22lr rifles on ticket so no problem.

They increased my ammo limit as well but that is all just 22RF.

1 minute ago, Benthejockey said:

If youve got 22cf on your ticket just buy any 22 centrefire that will suit your needs like a 22hornet, or like a 221 fireball or a 22-250 or a 220 swift. And then put back in for a rimfire afterwards.

I always thought when you apply you have got to request a specific cal eg .222 .223 etc you just can’t put down 22CF unless I am wrong like normal.

5 hours ago, blackbird said:

I always thought when you apply you have got to request a specific cal eg .222 .223 etc you just can’t put down 22CF unless I am wrong like normal.

I think you mean .222 REM or .223 REM and they aren’t calibre they are chamberings the calibre is .22 and for clarity the RF or CF is normally added.  

You can of course request a 222 REM etc but it asks you for calibre.  Right now I can buy a .22 rf a .22 cf and a .30 all rifles. I’ll see what I find and I like instead of keep doing variations. 

4 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I think you mean .222 REM or .223 REM and they aren’t calibre they are chamberings the calibre is .22 and for clarity the RF or CF is normally added.  

You can of course request a 222 REM etc but it asks you for calibre.  Right now I can buy a .22 rf a .22 cf and a .30 all rifles. I’ll see what I find and I like instead of keep doing variations. 

Try telling Suffolk that! I asked for .22CF and had to be specific ie .223 REM! 

13 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Very true. But as a .22 air rifle and .223 are the same calibre perhaps we generally mean chambering when we say calibre? 

Like all those people calling bullets head enough people get it wrong for long enough and it slowly becomes an accepted norm. 

However the Home Office form asks for Calibre not Chambering.  I and many more will continue to ask for a calibre then I’ll buy the rifle I want in this case be it a 222 223 22250 221 etc it doesn’t matter that much to me it the rifle that makes the difference. 

Now calibre is defined in a rifled barrel, the distance measured between opposing lands.  So now we discover a 243 win isn’t a deer legal calibre as that dimension .239!