DIY Wills

Lampwick

20 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

You can get a free will in October. Even some regulated solicitors offer this. 

Agreed. Google free Wills in October and follow the advice above.

Some time back I watched a couple of those Heir Hunter programmes and was amazed at the number of deceased who left a DIY / free will only for it to be deemed invalid and the wishes of the deceased could not be implemented.

Get it done properly and then REGISTER it. The best drafted will is useless if it then can't be found. Remember that witnesses can't be beneficiaries but that executors can and that if it is a simple will...for example "All to Mrs XXXX" (who is your wife) then it really doesn't require a solicitor to actually sort the probate out. You can do that yourself. It isn't difficult.

You also need to include with your will a well documented list of what is what, where it is, and how to access it. That is especially so if you have investments. Also if your bank account is in your name only when you die the bank will freeze it until they see Grant of Probate. If it is your and you wife's name it remains live even though you have died and she can still use it. 

And what a will says is not always what will happen. Thus if you "leave all to my wife for her to leave to my son when she dies" will not in fact cause that unless it is drafted to actually cause legal effect to that wish. As in law a "wish" is a mere precatory word that has no legal effect. If your son is to have XYZ after your wife dies then you must seek legal advice on correct drafting of that.

People forget the obvious. When your will is read you are by then dead and no one can ask you to clarify what is meant by this, or by that, or even who "I leave £20 to each of my good friends" means. No one can ask you who those friends are. So your will must be clear, unambiguous and be certain. The will must speak with all three points so that it is precise.

Edited by enfieldspares