Advice for an intermediate clay shooter

Cheltclays

2 hours ago, Cheltclays said:

Hi,

I’m an ok shooter but not great. On a Sunday round I’ll miss more than I hit. 

I’ve got a bit of spare time at the moment and want to spend it practicing. 

What types of clays / stands would you recommend are the best to spend the most time on to get some good practice in?

Thanks

Stands with an instructor!

The type you miss most? It’s pointless spending time just shooting the ones you find easy, so go for the ones you find the most difficult. 
Shooting on competition days only wont do you any favours either, find a ground you can shoot rabbits all day long if that’s what you find the hardest to hit. 

I’m in agreement with the above, get yourself a lesson or two.  It’s exactly what I did when I first started and it did wonders for me.  It’s all well and good practising but if you are practising the wrong things with bad habits you will only succeed in ingraining Those bad habits which will eventually lead to stagnating and not progressing further or worst case scenario a loss of your love for shooting. 

The price of lessons is not huge even with world champion shots. And you’ll likely learn more in one lesson than you will from a few practice rounds on your own.  👍🏻

Where are you? By your name I take it Cheltenham.

Welcome to the forum.

Don't mean to sound nasty but if you miss more than you hit in a round of clays I wouldn't say not intermediate but more novice.  Do you shoot with friends who are much better and can help?  If you tend to shoot alone some lessons is your best bet to get better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/10/2020 at 16:00, Chris B123 said:

If you are from Cheltenham, book a few lessons with Steve Nutbeam at Longridge shooting groung, one of the best instructors in the country,

If the OP ever pops back in to read the advice, this is the nugget he needs to pick up if he has an interest in being coached by the best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 08:11, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well the OP joined Pigeon Watch on the 18th of October and hasn't logged in since he posted the question!

On 07/11/2020 at 23:37, grrclark said:

If the OP ever pops back in to read the advice, this is the nugget he needs to pick up if he has an interest in being coached by the best.

Well that's a month now!

He wasn't an intermediate that's for sure 🤭  I miss more than I hit isn't an inspiring comment to your ability. Saying I'm quite new and improving looking for advice would have been much better. But either way he was given good advice.

Hear it all the time about how good people are at all sorts of things, only to be shown up as not having a clue when it comes down to it.

I prefer to hear a bit of modesty, 👍

Edited by figgy

6 hours ago, figgy said:

He wasn't an intermediate that's for sure 🤭  I miss more than I hit isn't an inspiring comment to your ability. Saying I'm quite new and improving looking for advice would have been much better. But either way he was given good advice.

Hear it all the time about how good people are at all sorts of things, only to be shown up as not having a clue when it comes down to it.

I prefer to hear a bit of modesty, 👍

Say it how it exactly is mate 

You know me goo1,  I'll help or try to help anyone.  Blowing smoke up their rear just isn't me.

I would class myself as intermediate shooting ability. Not new but not top class either so by definition in the middle.

Edited by figgy