Recommendations please

fatchap

Chaps, I'm after a quality retractable dog lead, the longer the better 10m preferably. I have just seen the demise of the 4th one I have bought, all 5star rated on Amazon, The brake seems to go. 

My dog is not a working dog but is mostly at defcom 5 in the energy levels but I don't like to let him off the lead, its not him I'm worried about its other dogs, he is still young and thinks all other dogs want to play. I know some don't but he doesn't.

I want him to have a good run around over the woods and obviously still keep him under control and get him back to my side if a less than friendly dog turns up looking for a fight. Plenty of out of control dogs with their no idea what to do "owners" where I walk the woofer.

I have a normal lead when I take him out at night and the mornings as we don't go to the park, just leisurely walk around the block, but at weekends I like to get him out and about, its just finding a good quality lead that will last longer than 2 months.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I would suggest the book Total Recall, or other similarly based recall training methods. 

Apologies not 100% what you asked but believe it would help you significantly more than an extendable lead, and you can then let the dog go a lot further than 10m if you want to. 

In the meantime I would consider a long line that you can leave drag on the floor if you need to.

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I would suggest the book Total Recall, or other similarly based recall training methods. 

Apologies not 100% what you asked but believe it would help you significantly more than an extendable lead, and you can then let the dog go a lot further than 10m if you want to. 

In the meantime I would consider a long line that you can leave drag on the floor if you need to.

Agreed and use paracord as your long line

23 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Have you tried the Flexi Giant leads that use webbing belt instead on cord), my brother used one for his mongrel (mastiff cross).

German made and XL goes up to 110kg dogs.

That's what I have bought and its brilliant, he has 10m of freedom however the recommended "shock absorber" which is basically two springs working against each other....totally useless.