65mm high bird cartridge

Morning all, I know it’s done to death but I’ve been getting doubts put in my mind off others i shoot with. 

I mainly shoot walked up days and the odd average driven day and use 30gr 5 for everything but I’ve got an invite to a high bird day in the borders, I could use my o/u and follow the sheep with 34g 4’s but I love shooting my old English sxs. 

Will my standard 30gr 5’s be up to the job or do I need something else? 

thanks 

Personally I'd just go with my gun and cartridge of choice. I shoot everything ( high and lower ) throughout the season with 32grm 5's. I don't care what anyone else says. 

I don't know how high 'high' is, and not all birds will be up there anyhow, so if you're struggling to hit the highest just go for the ones you feel comfortable with; you've still got to be 'on them' no matter what you're using. 

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

Personally I'd just go with my gun and cartridge of choice. I shoot everything ( high and lower ) throughout the season with 32grm 5's. I don't care what anyone else says. 

I don't know how high 'high' is, and not all birds will be up there anyhow, so if you're struggling to hit the highest just go for the ones you feel comfortable with; you've still got to be 'on them' no matter what you're using. 

Honest common sense advice. Shoot at what you know you can kill cleanly.  Too many of these so called high bird shoots ...the computer will not let me use the correct term, but basically hit a bird with one or more pellets but not kill it cleanly to go on and suffer ..... this happens to more birds than they are willing to admit even with their cannon shells. I think someone on here quoted a 10 to 1 kill ratio which says it all.  I have no time for willy wagglers as you can probably guess. Shoot at what you know you can kill cleanly, if not let it fly by, similarly if a lowish bird flies across your peg then I would leave it because it may make a better bird for my neighbour.  It is called sportsmanship for those who don't understand.

Edited by Walker570

Shot a few partridge yesterday with my 16 Gauge 100 plus year old Army & Navy and a couple where out at 40yrds. The only shells I had where Eley Bismuth 26.5 gr #5s but they still did the job no problem.  Forced to use the 16g because the idiot who runs the shoot said he wouldn't allow 410s but would allow from 28gauge upwards. 

As Mr S Smith says 30g will do the job if you do and it is up to you to judge on the day.

Depends, as has been said, on how high is high and how much choke is there in the SbS. I'd be inclined to keep to the same cartridge (28g of 7s is my SbS pigeon cartridge), but compromise and take the OU along as well just in case. Should the SbS be open more traditional game boring then you might just need a bit of help even though the cartridges hold up their patterns well - probably down to the sensible MV.