"Double Gunning" - duck shooting/ wildfowling on Lough Neagh

Big Al

6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Good video, why did you shoot the duck on the water? In case it dived when retrieved? 

Yes - I try to do anything to prevent losing birds. If I don't think the duck is dead, I shoot it again. A diving duck can out-smart a dog in that kind of wind and wave.

6 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Another great vid.   So what was the outcome of the double gunning, any preference?

i noticed you had rather a good bag/rucksack, what make is it and how many decoys can you get in it?

cheers

flipper

No difference between the guns. I can miss equally well with both!

I had used a Jack pike decoy bag until last year, but they had doubled in price. I bought this instead

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312131210422

It's just as good as the Jack Pike and it has side pockets. And it's cheap. This is its second season and it is as good as new.

As for how many decoys, I usually have 8 mallard and 8-10 teal decoys in it. I also put my shot ducks in it too.

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

No difference between the guns. I can miss equally well with both!

I had used a Jack pike decoy bag until last year, but they had doubled in price. I bought this instead

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312131210422

It's just as good as the Jack Pike and it has side pockets. And it's cheap. This is its second season and it is as good as new.

As for how many decoys, I usually have 8 mallard and 8-10 teal decoys in it. I also put my shot ducks in it too.

I agree about the bag,I  bought the same one this season., couldn't believe how much gear you can pack in there.Its got shoulder straps too which makes for easy carrying.

g

9 hours ago, greylag said:

Another great adventure.Lovely wind and a smashing flight..You can't beat a bit of rough weather.

The rougher the better. It makes for challenging shooting when you have to lead the ducks wingtips instead of their beaks!

4 hours ago, Balotelli said:

A most interesting video and a completely different take to the pigeon videos. I wonder what it would be like if you added a Shotkam?

I'd love to try that - unfortunately my finances don't stretch that far. 

What cartridge and choke combo do you use Big Al? 

Love your videos as usual! Whoever built that stone hide deserves a medal. 

I have recently joined a fowling club partially inspired by your videos :) took my first goose the other week but haven’t had any ducks just yet. 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What cartridge and choke combo do you use Big Al? 

Love your videos as usual! Whoever built that stone hide deserves a medal. 

I have recently joined a fowling club partially inspired by your videos  took my first goose the other week but haven’t had any ducks just yet. 

I use factory half choke and am currently using either 3" RC Atomic line or Gamebore mammoth, both 36g steel.

I was one of 3 people who rebuilt the hide 4 years ago after its predecessor was destroyed by very high water. 

I'm genuinely delighted my videos have, at least in part, influenced you to try wildfowling. The hunters moon is coming soon, and duck numbers will increase significantly after the migrants appear in force. Geese are a rarity here - although I did manage to bag one last Saturday. 

6 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Yet another cracking video Al.

Always an absolute joy to watch.

Keep them coming.

OB

Many thanks OB. I have another duck / goose video lined up for this weekend, but I'll be out a the pheasants for the next two Saturdays. 

Wildfowl will always be my first choice though.

On 18/10/2020 at 17:29, Big Al said:

Last Saturday's outing which also coincided with a decent NW wind.

After my run of poor form, I brought two guns to the hide. A good time was had by all, especially the dogs.

Another great video Big Al 👍👍unfortunately the big lough side I’m hunting been very quiet Nice to watch a professional at work 🍺🍺🍺😀😀😀🦆🦆🦆🦆

6 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Another great video Big Al 👍👍unfortunately the big lough side I’m hunting been very quiet Nice to watch a professional at work 🍺🍺🍺😀😀😀🦆🦆🦆🦆

I'm no professional! The Lough was very quiet today - but I did see a lot of ducks on splashes in fields.