Cartridge Bag Maintenance

Alex1Nat2

Evening all,

I’ve got an old, but perfectly good canvas cartridge bag. Originally it was the red/burgundy colour but over the years it has now faded to virtually cream on the top flap. Anyone know if I can stain it back to its original or similar colour. 
if so, what did you use ?
Any help or advice much appreciated.

steve

1 hour ago, Alex1Nat2 said:

Evening all,

I’ve got an old, but perfectly good canvas cartridge bag. Originally it was the red/burgundy colour but over the years it has now faded to virtually cream on the top flap. Anyone know if I can stain it back to its original or similar colour. 

steve

if its 100% cotton(natural fibres) , it can be dyed using a dylon machine dye , alternatively , you could re colour it with a jar of fabric paint . most manufacturers will have a fair bit of info on the net.

21 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

if its 100% cotton(natural fibres) , it can be dyed using a dylon machine dye , alternatively , you could re colour it with a jar of fabric paint . most manufacturers will have a fair bit of info on the net.

proberly better to mix it up in a spray bottle and spray it on so the leather is not immersed in the washing machine or sink....then spray it with a silicon waterproofing spray

thats what i would do...

then leather soap on the leather bits

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

proberly better to mix it up in a spray bottle and spray it on so the leather is not immersed in the washing machine or sink....then spray it with a silicon waterproofing spray

thats what i would do...

then leather soap on the leather bits

aaahhh , i didnt realise it was leather , i thought that it was just a canvas bag.

Rather than boot polish on leather (my leather working friend nearly cried when they found my dad had polished my clay bag with boot polish), try shoe cream. Also if you put a good coat on and warm up with a hair dryer the polish sinks in a bit more.

No idea about the canvas part.

Edited by ehb102

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

aaahhh , i didnt realise it was leather , i thought that it was just a canvas bag.

it is a canvas bag.........but the fittings and edgings are usually leather....anyway if it is like one of mine it is..................made the mistake of putting my Brady bag in the washer.....ended up nice and clean.....and all the leather bits needed cutting off and replacing........

think the dye would take better if the bag was put into the tumble dryer for 10 mins ...then sprayed with dye...........dont know about using a mordant tho...

Look for a product called blanco, its the stuff squaddies used to use on canvas webbing to dye it to colour as sometimes their webbing was a different colour to their environment. I'm not sure if you could get it in burgundy though but its possible. Bloke on the range had a video about it.

21 hours ago, Alex1Nat2 said:

Evening all,

steve

On 18/10/2020 at 20:42, ehb102 said:

Rather than boot polish on leather (my leather working friend nearly cried when they found my dad had polished my clay bag with boot polish), try shoe cream. Also if you put a good coat on and warm up with a hair dryer the polish sinks in a bit more.

No idea about the canvas part.

I use the boot polish on the canvas,same with slips,colours them up no probs.