I would like to buy an incubator

My son has purchased a fine Chinese plastic pretend incubator that worked for all of 2 days before it turned into a top quality egg cooker - cost of incubator £100 cost of rear breed eggs he will not tell me 

However all is not lost as I have been keeping an eye on it ,which as he  is at work could not do. A very good friend has lent me his incubator and hopefully some will be ok  ( I live in hope )  As I have been  monitoring things  and  when it all started going tittsup I transferred the eggs to the old proven  incubator  do you think  the eggs have a chance.

If I sound ignorant it's because  I am I know half of        all about this  -but I do know a cheap rubbish incubator is not the way to go .

So my question is   --if you were going to buy a good quality incubator  for poultry and game birds  100 - 200  capacity  not money no object but  good value that will last and work for a few years   I would like some advice  I'm thinking more basic than totally computer controlled  but I'm open to any ideas from people who actually do it rather than  would like to .

Hope someone can advise

You might be able to rescue the situation with a very reasonably priced additional gadget.  If you look on ebay for something called stc-1000 it can very accurately control temperature.  However it works by switching the appliance on and off via its mains electrical connection, so if the incubator is digital and resets every time it is switched off it would be no good.  Otherwise might be worth a punt for around £12

thanks for the suggestions .Alls well at the moment with the borrowed unit so I have a while to get something sorted

Now I have got involved I find it very interesting and will buy a decent  cabinet type incubator  once I decide on what to get.

So any other ideas welcome -- quality rather than cheap and cheerful.

On 18/10/2020 at 19:04, swan40 said:

My son has purchased a fine Chinese plastic pretend incubator that worked for all of 2 days before it turned into a top quality egg cooker - cost of incubator £100 cost of rear breed eggs he will not tell me 

However all is not lost as I have been keeping an eye on it ,which as he  is at work could not do. A very good friend has lent me his incubator and hopefully some will be ok  ( I live in hope )  As I have been  monitoring things  and  when it all started going tittsup I transferred the eggs to the old proven  incubator  do you think  the eggs have a chance.

If I sound ignorant it's because  I am I know half of        all about this  -but I do know a cheap rubbish incubator is not the way to go .

So my question is   --if you were going to buy a good quality incubator  for poultry and game birds  100 - 200  capacity  not money no object but  good value that will last and work for a few years   I would like some advice  I'm thinking more basic than totally computer controlled  but I'm open to any ideas from people who actually do it rather than  would like to .

Hope someone can advise

Think this depends on what eggs they are, what temp they went to and for how long.

How old are the eggs now? You could candle them (if old enough). This would give you an idea if they are still alive and developing.

You won't go far wrong with a Brinsea

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anybody is following my sad tale -as it stands 8 hatched  in the brooder and lots of signs of more - so all is well.  ---well so far so good more a case of enthusiasm over competence but is not this how we learn,   I'm happy  that we have got a result - never done this before  but will keep on keeping on .

My son is still waiting for some positive feedback from the supplier of the Chinese incubator/egg cooker . The only thing they seem to be concerned about is " please do not leave a negative review"

We await some recompense but they have said they do not want in returned  ( probably have a warehouse full)  but at least something has been rescued from this, I now Know a lot more about the hatching and production of poultry than I did before.

I am sure not everything that comes from china is substandard but     -   it seems to me if a penny needs to be spent a halfpenny will do, a system that has put paid to many industrial countries in the past as  an owner of a fine Austin Allergro ( complete with complimentary welly boots) I can testify.

I have purchased a incubator from Brinsea so now I have a set up that will hopefully see my son (and now me as my interest has been lit ) right.

Thanks all for the advice

10 now plus 2 more nearly out .  Its better than watching the telly --quite exiting really.  As  I have 2 days shooting this week cancelled at least I can pretend to be a farmer instead    ha ha

The most expensive chickens in  the UK I would guess .We live and learn.  My wife really loves it (looking after the eggs that is) so every one is happy.