Harrington & Richardson muzzle loader 12 gauge

Harrington & Richardson muzzle loader

£199

12 gauge Shotgun Private Seller
Used - Average Condition maidstone, Kent
Single Shot, -, -, - barrels
Hr_(6) Hr_(4) Hr_(3)_small

Description

Here is an unusual one ! not sure of model , may be a huntsman ? 12g centre fire, breakbarrel ,muzzle loading .percussion shotgun ! quite a good slug gun with 60-70grains of black powder . made for the US market where muzzle loaders get an early start to the hunting season . very light and fun to shoot fitted with retractable ramrod can even throw in a loading lesson if you collect ! from lenham in Kent please ask for more pics

This gun is being sold by Pigeon Watch member mikehutt. Message them here

View the full article

41 minutes ago, bishop said:

pity they never made these with a removeable breech "plug" that could convert from breech to percussion by removal of said plug

They did, that to me looks like an ordinary 12ga single barrel shotgun with one of the adaptors fitted.

Edited by Vince Green

29 minutes ago, bishop said:

Id say thats what  that is then Vince.

Hi all 

The breech plug is removable for cleaning  by removing the barrel 

However there is no way you can use a 12g cartridge in it as it does not have a chamber machined for it . it is muzzle load only .

Mike 

1 hour ago, mikehutt said:

Hi all 

The breech plug is removable for cleaning  by removing the barrel 

However there is no way you can use a 12g cartridge in it as it does not have a chamber machined for it . it is muzzle load only .

Mike 

Yes it is all to do with different laws in different states regarding the use of muzzle loaders for hunting deer and ducks. Some States allowed an ordinary 12ga with a removable adaptor and some States didn't so it had to be permanent. H&R made both types I believe 

You could years ago buy several different makes and types of adaptors. The only people I know making them now are Short Lane

https://www.gunadapters.com/209-muzzle-loading-adapters/

Edited by Vince Green

7 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Yes it is all to do with different laws in different states regarding the use of muzzle loaders for hunting deer and ducks. Some States allowed an ordinary 12ga with a removable adaptor and some States didn't so it had to be permanent. H&R made both types I believe 

You could years ago buy several different makes and types of adaptors. The only people I know making them now are Short Lane

https://www.gunadapters.com/209-muzzle-loading-adapters/

I think one reason The H&R one  is muzzle loader only is because of some accidents with the adaptor type . on this one the breech plug can only be removed  with the barrel off this is for safety as  imagine with the adaptor type  if you get a slow burn in the primer and open the breetch not waiting the prescribed full minute ! charge goes off and the breech plug plants itself in your face ! 

Not pretty