How many bangs have you had?

The Mighty Prawn

Whilst cleaning my B525 yesterday I did some rough finger maths and calculated it's had around 10,000 cartridges through it in the last five years, now this is still 'nearly new' compared to some of you so it got me thinking - how many shots has your most used gun had? I'm sure there'll be some 100,000 but has anyone got near the million?

Over to you

Before lockdown around a slab or so a week through the Miroku. Since lockdown maybe 100 max.

Through the semi or SBS, depends on the Pigeon and Corvids, so not much change there. Anything from 25 to 250, although lately it's more on the lower end as they seem to be mostly in the woods or on the organic farm next door. 

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I am sure you previously said that there were no such things as “clay” cartridges and “game” cartridges? But I like you use 21g cheap cartridges for clays. 

Correct, and I stand by the statement. But I have shot A LOT of game, particularly partridges, with 21 gram Comp X. A head keeper friend buys nothing else.

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I am sure you previously said that there were no such things as “clay” cartridges and “game” cartridges? But I like you use 21g cheap cartridges for clays. 

Thats all I use for clays, steel or lead, plas or fibre depending on ground. Buying in bulk they work out less than £4 a box. 

When the pigeons and corvids are more plentiful, i keep promising myself to try them also. I've used them at about 20-30 yards with no regrets on pigeons only.

My K80 will have shot between 20 & 25 k in the time I had it, still like new when sold. 

My Benelli SuperSport had shot around the the 20k mark before I bought it in its ten year life. I've shot about 5k through it at most, it's a lovely gun with very little signs of any wear.

I've used some guns that must have had many hundreds of thousands through them as they rattled when closed, still shot ok. Tom Knapp's Benelli has a documented high amount of carts and in a museum in USA. So they can do it.

Edited by figgy

12 hours ago, London Best said:

Correct, and I stand by the statement. But I have shot A LOT of game, particularly partridges, with 21 gram Comp X. A head keeper friend buys nothing else.

I was only pulling your leg. I agree with you and shot quite a few pheasant walked up last year with 21g as I had unexpectedly run out. Head shots absolutely fine. 

I shoot about 1K a month, give or take the higher/lower periods of the year. There is some signs of wear on my gun, mostly the top of the stock being a bit mat compared to the super shiny it used to be, but after 4 years it is still as tight to close as when new. I shoot 28g fiber clay carts thru it. Guerini Invictus V.

For less than 450 I will have it factory refurbuished in the new year, re-bluing, serviced, re-oiling etc. Only problem is: 10 weeks without my gun!

2 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

On the plus side, you'll be in profit with the money you'll save from shooting! 😄

No worries here, I'll find "something" to shoot with in the meantime :-) :-)

I actually don't think I shoot a lot, compared to the more "top tier" of the clay shooting scene, they must be shooting at least twice as much, perhaps more.