Phantom Pregnancy

macca2017

Hi All,

Has anybody had problems with phantom pregnancies?  My ESS bitch (20 months old) is just going through her second one, is this normal?   My biggest concern is her teets are full of milk and look sore, I certainly can't work her at the moment which is frustrating.  I was going to wait until the end of this season to have her spayed, which I believe will sort the problem. Just wondering if I should just get it done now.

This is quite normal, I have a 12 year old beardie who has a phantom pregnancy after every season.

Our vet said that when he trained it was looked at as a problem but thinking has changed and it goes back to wild dogs where only the top female would be allowed to breed. Most of them come into season at the same time and some of the others would produce milk so they are able to help with looking after the pups. 

The main problem with it is finding the correct time to get her spayed as they will not do it when there is milk present and not when showing signs of a season, hence we have a 12 year old who has not been spayed.

On 19/10/2020 at 10:04, macca2017 said:

Hi All,

Has anybody had problems with phantom pregnancies?  My ESS bitch (20 months old) is just going through her second one, is this normal?   My biggest concern is her teets are full of milk and look sore, I certainly can't work her at the moment which is frustrating.  I was going to wait until the end of this season to have her spayed, which I believe will sort the problem. Just wondering if I should just get it done now.

Hi, My wife was a veterinary nurse , we used to breed ESS and Salukis, the ESS were prone to phantom pregnancy's especially the younger bitches, if you give her Epsom salts it will dry up the milk production, but yes it is fairly common in some breeds mainly in the younger dogs. A real pain if you are paying big bucks for stud dogs , once we found a good stud we tended to go back to the same dog,