Dog goes ballistic.

The Heron

When we travel in the landrover my dog a cocker is fine when we are moving it's only when we stop at the traffic lights or a junction or any other halt that she goes ballistic barking and jumping around once she is out she's fine or when we start to move off again she is fine there's no problem with her getting in the landrover as she can't wait to get in, any ideas thanks. 

Probably not much help, but my dogs the same in the car. I just put it down to "are we there yet?" 

Every time I stop be it lights, traffic etc he thinks he's at the park and wants to get out. Probably completely different to what your dog does but its worth a thought.

Edited by fatchap

15 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

If my pup did this it would be told off immediately and forcibly. When you arrive at a destination the boot and crate should be open indefinitely with the dog not permitted to leave until you are satisfied it is settled. The dog should be in the car on the drive etc boot open for periods. 

Personally I would never put my dog in the boot of my car, its a hatchback but that makes no difference, Get rear Ended and its possibly Adios woofer. Least in the back seat you have a "crumple zone"  between the oncoming car and your dog.

I can understand yours is probably a working dog and discipline is everything but mines a pet and I think he's entitled to get a bit exited when going to the park or somewhere, its a big deal for a dog, an adventure almost, no way a criticism of working dog owners, your dog has a job to do and I am always in awe at the work that goes into training them, but I also believe you should let a dog be a dog even if its only every now and again

8 hours ago, fatchap said:

Personally I would never put my dog in the boot of my car, its a hatchback but that makes no difference, Get rear Ended and its possibly Adios woofer. Least in the back seat you have a "crumple zone"  between the oncoming car and your dog.

I can understand yours is probably a working dog and discipline is everything but mines a pet and I think he's entitled to get a bit exited when going to the park or somewhere, its a big deal for a dog, an adventure almost, no way a criticism of working dog owners, your dog has a job to do and I am always in awe at the work that goes into training them, but I also believe you should let a dog be a dog even if its only every now and again

A dog is supposed to enhance your life, whether it is a pet or a working dog. 

Cant see what difference it makes. 

To be blunt, “a dog should be allowed to be a dog” doesn’t make any sense... a dogs natural environment is never in a car. I’ve never seen a dog drive a car. The dog is there as a companion to the human and allowing the dog to misbehave and “go ballistic” is just allowing the dog to do as it wants. 

I would not accept my dog “going ballistic” in any other environment so why it should somehow be allowed when in a car seems to escape me. 

On top of that a dog that bounces around barking, whining and not sitting still is a distraction to the driver. It’s dangerous, and further it’s bloody annoying! 

27 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Fair enough, I always assume we are taking working dogs. For me it is a safety issue that if you need to open the boot on a busy main road the dogs stay say still. 

Bang on, the dog should be trained to sit down and settle in the car. Same as it should in the house or anywhere else. 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

Bang on, the dog should be trained to sit down and settle in the car. Same as it should in the house or anywhere else. 

I insist on taking my puppies to the pub for steadiness training when young 😉

Now fully grown my dogs come to the pub with me and lie on the spot they are told to lie on without making a noise or moving about. I do not use a lead. 

Similarly on a dog walk my three boys will often climb a tree, go to a play park or have a picnic for up to an hour. The dogs sit like sentinels, it is great training especially with other dogs about. An old lady came and asked me on Sunday (whilst I was busy climbing a tree) “Are they your dogs? Why are they sitting so still and not running about?” I answered “Because I told them to”. 

Even as pets if couldn’t trust them to stay sat on a spot I would have to leave them at home much more and their lives would be much less rich. I take them to my office and they sit/lie on the spot from 9.30am until 7pm, even if I have to go out. My car is often parked in the street with the boot completely open and the dogs are left to bask in the sun for an entire day (not mid summer obviously). Many people, dogs and cats will go past but they are expected to stay in the car and so do so. 

Lloyd due to a canines lack of opposable thumbs, driving a car would be difficult for them also their paws won't reach the pedals so using that as an analogy is completely out of context.🤣 

But I'll bail out of this one but will stick with my original opinion that the OP dog is just exited and can't wait to get wherever he/she is going.

Edited by fatchap

4 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Lloyd due to a canines lack of opposable thumbs, driving a car would be difficult for them also their paws won't reach the pedals so using that as an analogy is completely out of context.🤣 

But I'll bail out of this one but will stick with my original opinion that the OP dog is just exited and can't wait to get wherever he/she is going.

Don’t disagree with you about the reason mate 👍🏻

CB11674B-E45F-4751-9E25-CD9F5ABF67B5.jpeg

Dogs aren't robots and different dogs will act differently given different situations, that said it should be fairly easy to train out. As for the method, any training techniques that are delivered "forcibly" are usually a failure of the trainer, especially when used for something with such low consequence such as barking in a car, I would argue it even more important when training working dogs to use positive training techniques or you risk knocking the confidence out of them, resulting in a dog that won't have the confidence to work away from the handler. I despaire at some of the advice given around dog training sometimes. 

when people treat their dogs as babies   we have a saying in Ireland one child three fools the same applies with pets 

no different than going to the vets      tells a woman the vet saying your lab is overweight while feeding it a lunch box of treats  and the woman turns to me what weight is your lab  i say 23kg she said it would be wouldn't it  with attitude          hell she had her buttox  handed to her as her dog was a coffee table and she was a feeder  4 yr old couldn't walk      a vet had being saying the same and he was wrong and unkind                            no  manners in dogs          no manners in kids           you can take either anywhere  cheeky kids not welcome     they dont have to be working dogs to have manners         just sit  on command and stay there until told different   (no need for stay)          the sit command is the most important   (voice or whistle )      they look to you for guidance  simples        some people have pets and dont realize the pets are ruling the roost      barking means im gaffer                 you are gaffer    shut up    get to bed          the neighbors will thank you                   people with a baby dog i get       12years of a ****su barking its brains out next door day and knight   pleading with them to shut it up and offering help  to train  while going through chemo 8 rounds of r chop every three weeks      i was at my wits end       caused me to fall out called then unmentionables       had to go to     brothers house to rest while the went out    mrs said dont upset the neighbours         i said you are off next week      she had one week  ended in a massive row                    while ive had 40+ years of working dogs     and neighbors didnt know i had dogs or went shooting         dogs are pack animals  there is only one gaffer      i grew up on a farm all animals are trained  come to a call     dont matter what they are                           they come when you called           chicken  ducks  geese   sheep     cows  goats     donkeys    horses   beef cattle    lambs     pigs   sheep dogs    jack rustle     cats               and yet      a couple with a dog cant get it back  no manners and dont know how        we are wrong if we  say anything   

shut up in an really  deep voice  means im gaffer     a   flat cap at the same time to startle      you have  got catch them before they start       once barking    you loose