How much does your shooting cost per year?

humperdingle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are unable to do it anymore you might wish you spent more on having the days you dreamt of and not saving up for later days which might never come  -- not just shooting . I for one do not know  and do not want to , as  long as I'm having fun and not getting my leg lifted and with good company I am happy.

I spent £1275 on shooting last year but was fortunate to be given a few free days driven shooting which helped out. My dogs cost me a fortune (£4K per annum on average). I will not be able to replace my dog when he dies, it’s unaffordable for me to run two dogs now I have children. As a cost saving I lost my 4x4 and friend now drives so pays for car maintenance and diesel. I pay for bacon butties and feel guilty. 

Clays & cartridges

Rifle club

Three syndicates 

A few driven days

Odd bits of kit  

Its an interesting question and I have just had a rough estimate.

Stalking £1500 with income of £2500. Equipment replacement and upgrade about £1000. Fuel £2000. Carts £1500. Africa £4000. So net about £7.5k which I don't think is too bad, given that I shoot at least 5 days a week. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Its an interesting question and I have just had a rough estimate.

Stalking £1500 with income of £2500. Equipment replacement and upgrade about £1000. Fuel £2000. Carts £1500. Africa £4000. So net about £7.5k which I don't think is too bad, given that I shoot at least 5 days a week. 

I didn’t count Africa! We class that as a holiday, so it doesn’t count towards shooting expenses! Anyway, I’ve only been nine times.

I have previously never really thought about it. having recently become a father which has put a dent in my disposable income I had to have a little tot up. 

I am a member of two pheasant syndicates, one fully driven £1200, one beat one stand one, £200. I also try to have a few away days..£ 600. I try to get a few clays sessions in, say £300. insurances, basc dog etc £500. cartridges, having recently started using a 16 this has gone up a bit. say 4000 carts a year £1200 roughly. 

I don't plan on replacing any kit, boots jackets etc so...….I have also not included fuel, one syndicate is 6mins up the road the other is about 30 mins drive. I have recently bought a pick up (£6000, including new offroad tyres etc) by the look of it I cant afford to change or replace a gun anytime soon......

total roughly..... £4000. which I must admit I am a little worried about. 

Justifying it is wrong I subscribe to the same as some on here, it is what I love to do. However, the fully driven syndicate has proved this season to be a bit of a disappointment, after a massive fall out with the current captain. I recon 8 of ten guns will not return...….We are looking into renting some land and starting a small syndicate with the fall out of the above. 

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I spent £1275 on shooting last year but was fortunate to be given a few free days driven shooting which helped out. My dogs cost me a fortune (£4K per annum on average). I will not be able to replace my dog when he dies, it’s unaffordable for me to run two dogs now I have children. As a cost saving I lost my 4x4 and friend now drives so pays for car maintenance and diesel. I pay for bacon butties and feel guilty. 

Clays & cartridges

Rifle club

Three syndicates 

A few driven days

Odd bits of kit  

How the heck does it cost you £4 k a year for your dogs . I have two cockers  i buy a large bag on dog biscuits from my gun room  £10 cost, lasts them both about six week . They get the odd treat   Vets checks and booster  Jags  each year . Dont have insurance , never have never will. Total about £500  a year and that could be less .

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Does your £7.5k include dogs? I have decided to end insurance for the dogs following my total on this thread. If you think of how much you need to earn to pay for that after tax it is eye watering. 

No I did not include the dog as I see him as more a household want than just for shooting although he is helpful. I don't have insurance and food and vets (big fingers crossed) are not so much. I am lucky enough to be retired and this is my retirement activity.

14 hours ago, swan40 said:

When you are unable to do it anymore you might wish you spent more on having the days you dreamt of and not saving up for later days which might never come  -- not just shooting . I for one do not know  and do not want to , as  long as I'm having fun and not getting my leg lifted and with good company I am happy.

That's what my wife and kids keep telling me. Use it, live it, don't regret you didn't. 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I didn’t count Africa! We class that as a holiday, so it doesn’t count towards shooting expenses! Anyway, I’ve only been nine times.

If you've only been nine times it hardly counts🤣

My RFD has just offered me an African trip, £2000 including flights, food, booze and shooting  but ammo is extra. Take your own guns (and ammo if you can afford the baggage). Seems a fair deal.

Looks like i am very much at the budget end of this scale! My wildfowling club membership and BASC membership included costs £145, due to lockdown i have been unable to get there yet! Rough shooting locally usually costs me a few Rainbow Trout caught during the summer, which i give to the farmer as a thank you. Dog was bought for £200 and is a mongrel! He wont win a field trial but he is a great help in the field. 

Cheers

Aled

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

If you've only been nine times it hardly counts🤣

My RFD has just offered me an African trip, £2000 including flights, food, booze and shooting  but ammo is extra. Take your own guns (and ammo if you can afford the baggage). Seems a fair deal.

Do it! But be warned, nobody goes to Africa only once.

2 hours ago, humperdingle said:

Interesting replies!

Must say, if I had the disposable income, my spending would be sky high as i’d quite happily be shooting clays every single day!

Unfortunately, i’m too lazy to work enough hours to pay for it

Glad you mentioned the work thing, I've been furloughed since march so my finances got a right good kick up the scrote this year. even when the clay grounds reopened I couldn't afford to even go for a few rounds. 

I had a count in the cabinet yesterday and I have a grand total of 106 cartridges and 44 rounds of .22lr left. I'm pretty sure they will do me for this season, apart from maybe buying more .22lr

Happily I'm back to work on November 2nd

This year after breaking my ankle then covid it's about a tenth of what I used to spend. Reload most of my carts for fowling and the Wildfowling subs Inc my basc. 

Enjoy my shooting more as now it's more fun rather than a habit twice a week.

Doing much more with air rifle too and tempering how much fun it is.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Glad you mentioned the work thing, I've been furloughed since march so my finances got a right good kick up the scrote this year. even when the clay grounds reopened I couldn't afford to even go for a few rounds. 

I had a count in the cabinet yesterday and I have a grand total of 106 cartridges and 44 rounds of .22lr left. I'm pretty sure they will do me for this season, apart from maybe buying more .22lr

Happily I'm back to work on November 2nd

Yeh i’ve been working right through (food retail) but the wages are pants, so...

I've never bothered to work it out, if i haven't got the cash in my pocket I don't buy anything. But, I would think around 1k to 1.5k a year. I normally order  cartridges and other ammo I will use along with the stuff for work so get a good deal  and that helps.

This year having saved a few quid with lockdown and all that I have replaced a lot of kit so spent a bit more this time!