How much does your shooting cost per year?

humperdingle

I think clay shooting would collapse overnight if that were the case. But seel is affordable or am I missing something with this bismuth thing?

If I could only shoot bismuth, the cost would probably fall due to scale. But I wouldn't shoot as much and unless your very rich most would curtail how much they shot.  I'd shoot a couple of slabs a year at most on game and Wildfowling, pest shooting wouldn't happen at all. Imagine a 200 bird pigeon day, ouch in the wallet. Or worse corvids you can't sell.

Edited by figgy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, £1.20 a cartridge would definitely put an end to my clay shooting. 
Steel is supposed to be cheaper but I feel the technology involved in the transition from plastic wads and cases will end that. I have a price list for Eley cartridges but it doesn’t state a price for their steel eco wad for some reason.
I know the lead ban doesn’t include trap shooting, but it will eventually. It’s only a couple of years our shooting orgs were defending lead and BASC stated ‘ no change until an effective and affordable’ alternative is found. Now it seems there is to be change at any price, including lost members. 
Saying all that, as another topic has proved, trap cartridges can be very effective on game, so maybe there’ll be an increase in trap cartridge sales for a while. If you’re not selling your game then who’s going to know? 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Yeah, £1.20 a cartridge would definitely put an end to my clay shooting. 
Steel is supposed to be cheaper but I feel the technology involved in the transition from plastic wads and cases will end that. I have a price list for Eley cartridges but it doesn’t state a price for their steel eco wad for some reason.
I know the lead ban doesn’t include trap shooting, but it will eventually. It’s only a couple of years our shooting orgs were defending lead and BASC stated ‘ no change until an effective and affordable’ alternative is found. Now it seems there is to be change at any price, including lost members. 
Saying all that, as another topic has proved, trap cartridges can be very effective on game, so maybe there’ll be an increase in trap cartridge sales for a while. If you’re not selling your game then who’s going to know? 

So what do you think will happen at these clay grounds were steel is banned for reasons of ricochet. 

50 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I don't think you'd have to travel to many grounds to find a trap house or skeet hut that had a pattern on it somewhere😆

Indeed, though no more a problem than lead is. 

13 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Park lodge banned steel

I have no doubt that when lead is banned completely they may have a rethink. 🙂

On 20/10/2020 at 21:59, Perazzishot said:

My average annual cartridge bill is £9k. Before dogs, guns, clothing, International trips, Clays and days in the field. No cash machines in heaven! #onelifeliveit 

Yes spot on no point in dying with a full bank account I have seen it far too often I spend all my money on shooting and I don't regret one penny that I have spent.

There's no pockets in shrouds. 

£300pa on a little DIY syndicate which gives me shooting all year round and access to fire wood. 

Normal year £800ish on Clay's

Air rifle related: 2 tins of pellets and £20 worth of air. 

Insurance £40pa

Obviously I have initiall spends on guns, scopes, air tanks, NV kit etc but the above is my maintenance / consumable costs.

Also clothing to factor in. 

With buying bits I would say £1200-£1800pa. Yes i could do it cheaper and this year i may have spent £300 on clays and cartridges so about 35% of what I normally would in a year. 

We dont have children just 2 dogs. 

WFH this year will have saved fuel that will have covered my shooting costs anyway. 

I dont plan to die of starvation nor be the richest man in the grave yard. 

ATB

Matt 

4 hours ago, salop sniper said:

£300pa on a little DIY syndicate which gives me shooting all year round and access to fire wood. 

Normal year £800ish on Clay's

Air rifle related: 2 tins of pellets and £20 worth of air. 

Insurance £40pa

Obviously I have initiall spends on guns, scopes, air tanks, NV kit etc but the above is my maintenance / consumable costs.

Also clothing to factor in. 

With buying bits I would say £1200-£1800pa. Yes i could do it cheaper and this year i may have spent £300 on clays and cartridges so about 35% of what I normally would in a year. 

We dont have children just 2 dogs. 

WFH this year will have saved fuel that will have covered my shooting costs anyway. 

I dont plan to die of starvation nor be the richest man in the grave yard. 

ATB

Matt 

Yep, it ain't a rehearsal and we all have our responsibilities. It is impossible to account the likes of me, no mortgage, no outgoings other than rates and heating and a couple of vehicles, with a young couple with two youngsters to rear and a mortgage and a vehicle, maybe two to run, rates etc etc.    What we spend individually is personal to each of us and impossible to relate one circumstance to the next.  We don't have holidays these days, our days shooting are holidays to us and as has been said you can't take it with you.  Try and set yourself up with a good pension and don't waste what you have.  I do see some stupid waste of money that could easily have paid for a years shooting.  A friend is selling his house and a likely buyer came to look around. Now they have a fantastic modern kitchen, all singing all dancing but the potential lady buyer said she would have to rip it out and have a new one.  BUT  of course she would be passing her cash on for some sensible kitchen supplier to spend enjoying a day or two out with his gun.

Keep smiling and enjoy what you have when you can.