Notifying the police

the hitman

Hi Folks 

Since lockdown I have been notifying the police every time I go pigeon shooting - however I haven’t been out for a couple of weeks and wondered if there is any legal requirement for us to continue doing this.

I am sure some shooters have not bothered to inform the police- and I have no problem with this, however it’s just a case of wanting to be seen as being responsible and doing the right thing.

Has anyone been challenged by the police for failing to notifying them ?

Hitman 

Not legally required however BASC requested that I do so when entering Wales for pest control during local lockdown, it was very straightforward and the nice NWP 101 lady recommended I should do it every time I am shooting regardless of COVID. I didn’t respond as it is in neither my interest or their’s to do so. Do the police not realise how many shooting activities are undertaken across the country daily? It would be a deluge of unnecessary administration for them and an additional piece of red tape for us. 

Edited by WalkedUp

it is worth informing the police if several of you have to do pest control in a field where the occupents of some local houses are antis and ring the police every time you fire a shot. This is usually at harvest when culling rabbits concentrated into the middle of the field by the combine. Of course the occupents of the other houses usually come out and ask if they can have a rabbit or two. 

Hi Folks 

When I started this tread I was reflecting on the time during lockdown when you really needed a reason to be out shooting.

I don’t recall any recent statement from any of the shooting organisations to say this was no longer necessary.

I think that as we are no longer in full UK lockdown and  unless you have any neighbour or boundary issues then I don’t think we should be informing the police of our legal shooting activities.

I was just testing the water in case I had missed anything.

Hitman

1 hour ago, the hitman said:

Hi Folks 

When I started this tread I was reflecting on the time during lockdown when you really needed a reason to be out shooting.

I don’t recall any recent statement from any of the shooting organisations to say this was no longer necessary.

I think that as we are no longer in full UK lockdown and  unless you have any neighbour or boundary issues then I don’t think we should be informing the police of our legal shooting activities.

I was just testing the water in case I had missed anything.

Hitman

You also needed a reason to go to the shops. I didn’t ring the police to tell them that I was going shopping 😅

I think organisations like BASC let us all down during the crisis by not taking a strong stand on subjects such as this. 

Edited by AVB