Fresh Pressed Apple Juice....WOW.

bruno22rf

Sooooo - long story short. Local Woodland is dotted with Apple Trees and I have noticed the huge amount of Apples recently that are just rotting on the floor. Casually browsing Faceache sales page I happen upon a press and Scratter, used once, for a bargain price locally so a quick jaunt in the jolopy and she's mine. Pressed my first batch today and the family all gathered round for a tasting, we waited an hour to allow the juice to cool then all took a sip......OMG - it is so nice that it is difficult to stop halfway through a glass. Got a bit over a litre for 10 minutes of collecting the fruit so I'm back out tommorow for an olympic gathering session. Anyone else doing this? 

I brought my grandmother a juicer a few year ago after one of her friends had brought a bottle of homemade juice round and it's a great bit of kit. She's got around 15 or so trees in the garden of different varieties, not all taste as good as others.

There's some wild trees a mile or so down the road that produce stunning apples but they are all out of reach now, wouldn't have minded sticking a few of those through the juicer.

6 hours ago, Shearwater said:

So then. . . . how would one turn the best fresh pressed apple juice simply into a cider?

You can get a rough cider really easily - simply bottle the juice with a Camden Tablet per gallon then pop a cotton wool ball in the neck of the bottle - Apples have yeast on their skins that will ferment the juice.

17 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Sooooo - long story short. Local Woodland is dotted with Apple Trees and I have noticed the huge amount of Apples recently that are just rotting on the floor. Casually browsing Faceache sales page I happen upon a press and Scratter, used once, for a bargain price locally so a quick jaunt in the jolopy and she's mine. Pressed my first batch today and the family all gathered round for a tasting, we waited an hour to allow the juice to cool then all took a sip......OMG - it is so nice that it is difficult to stop halfway through a glass. Got a bit over a litre for 10 minutes of collecting the fruit so I'm back out tommorow for an olympic gathering session. Anyone else doing this? 

Have you got any pictures of the press and scratter? We've got apple trees when we move and the kids love juice!

13 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

Have you got any pictures of the press and scratter? We've got apple trees when we move and the kids love juice!

Here is my scratter sat on top of the press. When the barrel is full the scratter is removed and the presser swung over and wound down and finally a lever ratchet for the last of the juice. 

IMG-20201010-WA0000[1].jpeg