New belt grinder is not well.

fatchap

My new belt grinder is not at all well, and I believe its my fault.

The tracking wheel has developed a high pitch squeal and keeps chucking the belt. I spun the wheel and there seems to be some drag on it. Being nosey I stripped it down, took the two circlips off and removed the internal collar, Bearing nest at either end, somehow the inside bearing nest has seized which I can only put down to overheating, which it would only do if the belt was say too tight consequently pulling the wheel at angle on the shaft so its not spinning true.

So my question is how tight do you have the belt? Say from the tracking wheel to the drive wheel how much lateral movement should there be?. 

The manufacturer has agreed to send me a new tracking wheel assembly, I don't want to ask them just incase they put two and two together and realise it was my fault. 

Anyone help me out?

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if you have lateral movement it may be "chatter" you are hearing...there should be no lateral movement....dont over tighten the pulley.......it should be spring loaded anyway..

It is spring loaded the wheel is attached to an arm with a spring, you push the arm down to get the belt over the wheel, the arm only moves up about half inch when you let it go, But I felt it was still too loose, so pulled the platen out further to make it tighter, this I believe is what overstressed the bearings. Well something went wrong anyway.