28g 7’s

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Not a huge difference in pellet count between 32g 6's and 28g 7's mind, only about 30 pellets more in the 7's. 

I might get some 32g 6's to give a go as only used 30's in the past. 

At 40 yards, you are giving up 10% of your pattern density by going from 28g 7 to 32g 6.

As you noted previously, the 7's killed well due to pattern, why move away from that to a more expensive, thumpier loading where you need to increase the choking and narrow the pattern to have the same effect on the target?

Guest cookoff013
7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

At 40 yards, you are giving up 10% of your pattern density by going from 28g 7 to 32g 6.

As you noted previously, the 7's killed well due to pattern, why move away from that to a more expensive, thumpier loading where you need to increase the choking and narrow the pattern to have the same effect on the target?

i just got to chime in here.

why must bigger loads be more expensive? certain powders working range actually mean some bigger loads can be cheaper in powder. as powder is more expensive than shot, comercial cartridges, yes, they are big and thumpy, 

why must loads thumpier? with quality loadings, it doesnt have to be so. speed at the muzzle has almost little to do with the speed at 40yards. its the shots job, let the shot do the work.

8 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Yep. Using, say, the IC as it's already been mentioned, you'd need to go to 1/4. (Should you subscribe to BASC then you will know that neither load/choke combination is sufficient for pigeon at the distance mentioned)

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Quite why some people keep trying to "re-invent the wheel" is beyond me.:rolleyes:

If a cartridge and choke combination work well for you, keep using it!:good:

If, for example you had some 1&3/16oz of No 5 which worked really well, how would you have discovered that the Subject load could be even better?

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Come on ... it's a generalisation which is broadly correct.

Look at prices of ranges within manufacturers, and more lead normally = more cost.

Most 24g loads recoil less than most 36g loads ...

Yes ... we can all find exceptions, and indeed hand craft some, but he's broadly right.

very broadly correct, prices in manufacturers are a slight moot point. you know the cartridge manufacturers band together and lock in minimum pricing to keep the manufacturers profitable? more of everything is more cost. speed of shells isnt the only factor. 24g shells do recoil less than the aforementioned 36g loads. its the terminal energy  / patterns that makes shells work. shotguns are very simple, we throw lots of heavy balls at very fast speeds. 

i went to a clayground once. we followed a group with an  old guy who was in a wheelchair, his family were having a clay shoot, he was getting out of the wheelchair and shooting about 4 shells a stand, but getting knocked about like he was in a washing machine. i cleared some of the empties away. 36g #4 gamebore black gold. used on clays ! 

i`ve been asked a few times what is worth loading, most want cheap. if 32g #6 was cheapest shell, everyone would use it. theyd probably use it for everything. some want the traditional 32g #7 or whatever for there old day loads of yesteryear.

just use whats effective.

i think the big discrepency is loads and the £ payoff in performance. for me, its performance, and i would consider 1500fps as sub performance.

15 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Not a huge difference in pellet count between 32g 6's and 28g 7's mind, only about 30 pellets more in the 7's. 

I might get some 32g 6's to give a go as only used 30's in the past. 

If I'm buying 32g lead shot carts it's always 5 shot to keep the pellet count up in the pattern. It's step change, 28g 7  30g 6.      32g 5 all about shot count. 

Choice is yours Lloyd but I don't think you would ever tell a difference between 30 & 32 in 6 shot in kills in the field.

Blue Diamond 28 grm 7's were my go to cartridge many moons ago when I shot mostly clays, and I recall using them on a beaters day as they were all I had, through a borrowed gun ( an old Lanber ) of a friend as I only owned a Winchester Model 12 at that present time, and was really impressed with how well they clattered driven birds.

It was only when I went to clean the gun at the days end that I saw it had no chokes in despite it clearly being threaded for them. I'm assuming therefore that I was shooting cylinder and cylinder. I think it was also the first time the gun had been cleaned! 🙂

Edited by Scully

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Blue Diamond 28 grm 7's were my got o cartridge many moons ago when I shot mostly clays, and I recall using them on a beaters day as they were all I had, through a borrowed gun ( an old Lanber ) of a friend as I only owned a Winchester Model 12 at that present time, and was really impressed with how well they clatters driven birds.

It was only when I went to clean the gun at the days end that I saw it had no chokes in despite it clearly being threaded for them. I'm assuming therefore that I was shooting cylinder and cylinder. I think it was also the first time the gun had been cleaned! 🙂

Brilliant!

A classic example of how there is more BS talked about chokes, loads and shot sizes than there is about fishing.

35 minutes ago, London Best said:

Brilliant!

A classic example of how there is more BS talked about chokes, loads and shot sizes than there is about fishing.

Most shooters will be aware that a TC pattern with 1 oz of 7s will drop a pheasant at 40 yards. However, increasingly this range is being exceeded by popular demand; Not only that there are many other smaller quarry species where the said pattern density will not suffice and something tighter is required. So, it's not all BS. Actually, the way things are going it is quite feasible that such talk will inevitably increase as a wider use of NTS is introduced. The 21st century beckons.

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, London Best said:

Brilliant!

I knew someone who didnt bother taking shells to a pheasant shoot and still managed to take home 10 birds. True story.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Brilliant!

😀👍

On a similar vein, the BIL of a mate has owned the same Winchester 101 shotgun since it was new ( it was this gun which first got me interested in those guns ) and shoots nothing else; it is the only gun he owns. 
He has, and still does shoot everything with this gun, from geese and duck on marsh, splashes and rivers, to grouse pheasant and partridge on highland and lowland, pigeons and crows on crops and stubbles, and bolting bunnies.
It has almost no finish remaining and the chequering is worn smooth. It has 27 “ barrels and is fixed choke at skeet and skeet. He has never shot clays. 
He just alters the cartridges to suit the day, and doesn’t miss a lot. 🙂