28g 7’s

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

That’s what I’m saying, I don’t think there’s any need. 

Shooting on Monday not many birds required the second barrel. 

Little confused here. Did you not say, "If anything I would love to have some 30/32g 7’s."

There is obviously no need to change from what you have with regards to what you're currently doing.  As clearly said, a heavier payload will only enable you to shoot smaller quarry species to the maximum effective energy range with an appropriate degree of choke.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Little confused here. Did you not say, "If anything I would love to have some 30/32g 7’s."

There is obviously no need to change from what you have with regards to what you're currently doing.  As clearly said, a heavier payload will only enable you to shoot smaller quarry species to the maximum effective energy range with an appropriate degree of choke.

I did, I was just scratching my head wondering what they would be like... I don't think they're needed for walked up. I was wondering what 30/32 would bring to say pigeon shooting or driven shooting. 

How have you worked out the max effective range with what choke? 

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I did, I was just scratching my head wondering what they would be like... I don't think they're needed for walked up. I was wondering what 30/32 would bring to say pigeon shooting or driven shooting. 

How have you worked out the max effective range with what choke? 

Difficult to be precise - all you need is ground cover which encourages the game to sit tight and what I'm about to say goes out of the window with regard to range. However, pigeon over decoys and driven are incoming but walked up is largely going away so you could argue that it's the latter of the two that may need a bigger load and some choke.

We mentioned a smaller bird - woodcock. Just some figures. Its vulnerable area is 12 sq ins. There as 707  sq ins in a 30" circle. In order to kill, 2 pellet strikes on EVERY shot are required if you accept this as a small bird. In order to give a reasonable chance of success, then 4 strikes ON AVERAGE are necessary. Obviously, this is only relevant if you believe that the pellet distribution is homogeneous throughout the 30" which is almost but not quite valid in the case of a true cylinder.