28g 7’s

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀👍

On a similar vein, the BIL of a mate has owned the same Winchester 101 shotgun since it was new ( it was this gun which first got me interested in those guns ) and shoots nothing else; it is the only gun he owns. 
He has, and still does shoot everything with this gun, from geese and duck on marsh, splashes and rivers, to grouse pheasant and partridge on highland and lowland, pigeons and crows on crops and stubbles, and bolting bunnies.
It has almost no finish remaining and the chequering is worn smooth. It has 27 “ barrels and is fixed choke at skeet and skeet. He has never shot clays. 
He just alters the cartridges to suit the day, and doesn’t miss a lot. 🙂

I have a similar gun from 1975, 26 inch bored out to true cylinder and quarter, but my barrels are the other way up. Shot everything from snipe to geese, inland and coastal, grouse, pheasants and partridge, rabbits, hares, foxes, waders when they were legal, thousands of pigeons.  Checkering smooth, been re blacked twice, ready again. Never felt under-gunned, even on 20 pound plus Spur-Wings in Africa.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, London Best said:

I have a similar gun from 1975, 26 inch bored out to true cylinder and quarter, but my barrels are the other way up. Shot everything from snipe to geese, inland and coastal, grouse, pheasants and partridge, rabbits, hares, foxes, waders when they were legal, thousands of pigeons.  Checkering smooth, been re blacked twice, ready again. Never felt under-gunned, even on 20 pound plus Spur-Wings in Africa.

Just the job. 👍

4 hours ago, figgy said:

If I'm buying 32g lead shot carts it's always 5 shot to keep the pellet count up in the pattern. It's step change, 28g 7  30g 6.      32g 5 all about shot count. 

Choice is yours Lloyd but I don't think you would ever tell a difference between 30 & 32 in 6 shot in kills in the field.

If you wanted to keep the pellet count up, surely you'd buy 32g 6's not 5's, as there'll be more pellets in 5's? 

Unless I have missed something :hmm: 

17 hours ago, Stonepark said:

At 40 yards, you are giving up 10% of your pattern density by going from 28g 7 to 32g 6.

As you noted previously, the 7's killed well due to pattern, why move away from that to a more expensive, thumpier loading where you need to increase the choking and narrow the pattern to have the same effect on the target?

Sounds like a good reason to stick with 7's.

If say shooting to 40 yards then, what choke would be the best combo on ducks, when shooting something like a 36g 3 (steel) cartridge? 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

If say shooting to 40 yards then, what choke would be the best combo on ducks, when shooting something like a 36g 3 (steel) cartridge? 

I’ve shot a lot of duck (and geese) at that range with 32 gram steel 4’s through a true cylinder barrel. Just my findings over many years.

30 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

If you wanted to keep the pellet count up, surely you'd buy 32g 6's not 5's, as there'll be more pellets in 5's? 

Unless I have missed something  

Sounds like a good reason to stick with 7's.

I use Briley IC and LM in OU and Wad Wizard SWAT tube or Briley IC in Semi Auto for duck with steel.

Edited by Stonepark

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

32g 5........248

30g 6.........287

28g 7..........340

Big difference.

Which translates to pellets in 30 inch circle target (1/4 choke) at 40 yards as

32g 5..... 136

30g 6 ..... 156

28g 7...... 184

Hence the reason 28g no7 was working so well, hitting each pheasant with 9 pellets or so on average, and half probably hitting something vital/structural, resulting in good kills with no runners.

11 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Which translates to pellets in 30 inch circle target (1/4 choke) at 40 yards as

32g 5..... 136

30g 6 ..... 156

28g 7...... 184

Hence the reason 28g no7 was working so well, hitting each pheasant with 9 pellets or so on average, and half probably hitting something vital/structural, resulting in good kills with no runners.

Of which 62, 72 and 86 respectively are ineffectual.

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But they are extremely necessary to make things work!:good:

I expect Tesco would call it a loss leader. :lol:

Our trouble is is that we're such a conservative lot. We could make things much easier for ourselves - for those who have an interest in how their gun performs - if we binned the 30" and just went for the central effective 20.

10 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I expect Tesco would call it a loss leader.

Our trouble is is that we're such a conservative lot. We could make things much easier for ourselves - for those who have an interest in how their gun performs - if we binned the 30" and just went for the central effective 20.

I quite agree!

Just now, cookoff013 said:

wasnt 36g #6 a traditional pigeon cartridge at some point?

Getting back to the good old "square" loads.

Guest cookoff013

36g#6 was a traditional pigeon sporting load, not faster than 1200fps. as said by wymbers.

it was all about pigeon shoots. well, more associated with the £ gambling. where cartridge performance was needed to exceed reasonable results. it was also adopted by the helice / zz guys. but then the cpsa and that tightened up the regs as what is reasonable. i still remember using 32g on clays, i shot steel 4s too. all quite legal. 

RC cartridges have a "special pigeon" load 36g HP loading shotsize 3-7 ! thats a tad overkill.

the key was to hit the witness of the zz helice bird. 

12 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

36g#6 was a traditional pigeon sporting load, not faster than 1200fps. as said by wymbers.

it was all about pigeon shoots. well, more associated with the £ gambling. where cartridge performance was needed to exceed reasonable results. it was also adopted by the helice / zz guys. but then the cpsa and that tightened up the regs as what is reasonable. i still remember using 32g on clays, i shot steel 4s too. all quite legal. 

RC cartridges have a "special pigeon" load 36g HP loading shotsize 3-7 ! thats a tad overkill.

the key was to hit the witness of the zz helice bird. 

Sorry, I thought you were talking about wood pigeons.

Guest cookoff013

yes i was !
those same shells were used for shooting helice and extreme birds. 

the shooting bodies are responsible for a slight switch in to lighter payloads, the 24g olympic trap loads being a prime example. this had a knock on effect from manufacturers using already existing loads, or re-branding them.

12 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

yes i was !
those same shells were used for shooting helice and extreme birds. 

the shooting bodies are responsible for a slight switch in to lighter payloads, the 24g olympic trap loads being a prime example. this had a knock on effect from manufacturers using already existing loads, or re-branding them.

You were talking about wood pigeon shooting!….Well in all my years I have never come across pigeon shooters who’s go-to cartridge was 36g 6s, unless you are talking before my time, I did know one guy who used nothing else but 34g 6s on pigeons, but he was the only one.