FAC NI

tikka.223

Hopefully your friend has a receipt from the RFD logging the gun in or some evidence, whether that’s an email trail or whatever.

I handed a shotgun in to an RFD to sell on my behalf. The RFD was insistent that I did not need to notify the police I no longer had it in my possession. After 6 months or so I enquired if there was any interest in the gun. The RFD told me he had sold it months ago. Obviously it was still on my ticket so I notified the police it had been sold. They weren’t happy about the delay in informing them, even though presumably the RFD and new buyer had completed the relevant paperwork. 

Now whenever a shotgun is not in my possession for more than the 72 hour rule, I inform the police, even if the gun shop says there’s no need.

Hope it works out for your friend.

Seems there are two problems here 1 a dealer has lost a firearm he was entrusted to keep 2 Your friend has a gun on his certificate which he no longer has in his posession..I woud ask the dealer to check his record of sales to determine if the gun had been sold . Were he still to claim that the gun had disapeared I would contact the firearms department but your friend had better have a receipt.

The only time I've left guns in for safe keeping it was with the police themselves til my licence was sorted and I got one very comprehensive receipt from them.

Going by the thread title Is this in Northern Ireland? Any chance you could let me know what dealer this is? There is one I know of with an attatched clay range that has a habit of lending guns out for people to try on the range. Maybe someone has frigged off home with it.

Edited by Rob85
Spelling